Text of The Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino: Cecilia
1. :evitarrau nn gd nie drs nta ILI EC A C Based on Inivisible Cities by Italo Calvino KARLINASATRIOPUTRI INTERIORARCHITECTURESTUDIO5 UNIVERSITYOFINDONESIA C ITY
2. CONTINUOUS CITIES 4You reproached me because each of my stories takes you right into the heart of the city without telling you the space that stretches between one city to the other, whether its covered by seas or fields of rye, larch forests, swamps. I will answer you with a story. In streets of Cecilia, an illustrious city, I met once a goathered, driving a tinkling flock along the walls. Men blessed by heaven, he asked me, stopping, can you tell me the name of the city in which we are? May the gods accompany you! I cried. How can you fail to recognize the illustrious city of Cecilia? Bear with me, that man answered. I am a wandering herdsmen. Sometimes my goats and I have to pass through cities; but we are unable to distinguish them. Ask me the names of the grazing lands: I know them all, The Meadow between the cliffs, the Green Slope, the Shadowed Grass. Cities have no name for me: they are places without leaves seperating one pasture from another, and where the goats are frightened at street corners and scatter. The dog and I run to keep the flock together. I am the opposite of you, I said. I recognize only cities and cannot distinguish what is outside them. In uninhabitated places each stone and each clump of grass mingles, in my eyes, with every other stone and clump. Many years have gone by since then; I have known many more cities and I have crossed continents. One day I was walking among rows of indentical houses, I was lost. I asked the passerby: May the immortals protect you, can you tell me where we are? In Cecilia, worse luck! he answered. We have been wandering through streets, my goats and I, for an age, and we cannot find our way out..... I recognize him, despite his long white beard; it was the same herdsman of long before. He was followed by a few, mangy goats, which did not even stink, they were so reduced to skin and bones. They cropped wastepaper in the rubbish bins. That cannot be! I shouted. I, too, entered a city, I cannot remember when and since then I have gone on, deeper and deeper into the streets. But how have I managed to arrive where you say when I was in another city, far far away from cecilia and I have not yet left? The places have mingled, the goathered said. Cecilia is everywhere. Here, once upon a time, there must have been the Meadow of The Low Sage. My goats recognize the grass on the traffic island. page 152.
3. Italo Calvino try to persuade our imagination through words. How we perceive his words are the most important STEP than try to understand as what it is. CECILIA..speak through the HUMAN EXPERIENCE ITSELF WANDER | CONFUSED | LOOPING | IDENTICAL | LOST | LURING | SEDUCTIVE
4. marcopolo always tells the city, but doesnt feel the in-between each city. the herdsman tells a lot about the in between, he sensed beautiful nature rather than buildings and streets. so, how can marcopolo get lost inside the city?
5. INSIDE CECILIA, BEAUTY CANNOT BE TRUSTED. INSIDE CECILIA, NO GREEN WILL GROW. INSIDE CECILIA, BEAUTY MEANS ORDER. INSIDE CECILIA, WANDERING IS THE KEY. INSIDE CECILIA, BEAUTY MEANS LOST. forever...will be...lost..
6. LITTERAL INTERPRETATION the green slope the meadow between cliffs the shadowed grass the city of cecilia
7. abstract interpretation of the space in-between cities twisted Cecilia inside Cecilia City in this interpretation, the journey to the cecilia is also being told. this taken from the herdsman point of view. he sees that area outside the city are more beneficial for his flock and the beauty comes from the nature itself. when he and his sheeps and dog came to Cecilia, nothing good happens to them. they become stuck by turning around in the same place.
8. interpretation of space feel of comfort transitioned many passages many identical shapes
9. the maquette
10. conclusion a good scenario is not just f r o m a m a z i n g a n d adventurous journey, but the way of telling the story is also the key to achieve great scenario. a method of designing starts from a scenario. narrative helps to explore the imagination of words into a wild result of space. a form able to be created by ideas of words. a technique of imagining with words have to be carefully written, so that the space have the same q u a l i t y o f w r i t t e n narrative.