The story of where the idea for Makerble came from and how Matt Kepple got there. See you on Makerble! http://makerble.launchrock.com NEXT VIDEO: Matt talks to ideas consultant Mathias Vestergaard about innovation culture: http://youtu.be/YYNBztGuty4 - awards - networking - funding - saving - consulting - rejection - iterations - advisors - market research
1. STORY OF A STARTUP FOUNDER & CEO @MATTKEPPLE TWITTER: @MAKERBLE #TECHCITY CHANGE THE WORLD YOUR WAY
2. @MAKERBLE #CROYDON #TECHCITY @MATTKEPPLE Where the idea came from The Idea Making It CHANGE THE WORLD YOUR WAY
3. @MAKERBLE #CROYDON #TECHCITY @MATTKEPPLE CHANGE THE WORLD YOUR WAY
4. CHANGE THE WORLD YOUR WAY @MAKERBLE #CROYDON #TECHCITY @MATTKEPPLE
5. Idea 2003. Launched 2004. Ran until 2007.
6. Won Channel4 IDEASFACTORY Award for PR & Marketing Reached final of the Whitbread Young Achiever of the Year Award Awarded with Fellowship of the prestigious British society, the RSA 2005
7. @MAKERBLE #CROYDON #TECHCITY @MATTKEPPLE The Idea CHANGE THE WORLD YOUR WAY
8. Theres a desire to change the world within each of us
9. Charity staff and charity donors are both motivated to address the issues they care about
10. But what donors dont see is the day to day progress that staff get to experience
11. And if this progress was visible, people would be inspired to give more and the number of people giving would rise 9.5million latent donors, 665million/year available in extra donations Source: New Philanthropy Capital Money For Good report, UK Giving Green Paper
12. As a team weve seen this happen before 25 average donation, 22-35 year olds, 40 projects, 80,000, member- get-member marketing, repeat attendees, charities earned loyalty www.YTFN.ORG 2008 - 2013 Matt Kepple, Annabel Dickson (Makerble) and friends co-founded the Youth Funding Network, www.ytfn.org - 2008-2013
13. Theres a growing appetite for transparency among donors I dont donate money to charity because Im not confident that my donation wont be wasted. Thats why I volunteer my time instead because that way I see the direct impact of what I put in HSBC Investment Manager, aged 30-35, male Source: Makerble interviews
14. But often our day-to-day lives get in the way
15. Telling the story of change, not selling the story of change Makerble has a library of charitable projects described in the Help (need) | Make (method, budget) | Change (impact) format
16. Users (Makers) select the causes they care about Makerble tailors a personalised stream of projects matching the users interests for their monthly donation to fund.
17. Change is reported on the Makers Change Timeline Personalised monthly email newsletter | Mobile app notifications Makers have a Change Score which equates to their total impact across all the projects theyve ever made possible
18. Automatically published to the Makers social network 2.85 new Makers recruited per original Maker 50% Makers activate FB connect x 190 Facebook Friends x 3% signup rate has provided nursery places to 3 orphans in Romania. You can help Ahmed make even more change!
19. Giving Makers the option to subscribe to individual charities, meaning they will always have a project from that charity in their Makerble Stream
20. Makerble is a revolutionary tool putting people in control of their positive global impact like never before. Our marketing reflects the breadth of interest in Makerble and we have staff assigned to these areas. PR EMPLOYEES EVERYWHERE SUB CULTURES SOCIAL MEDIA BRANDED VOUCHERS National media targets Resolving the frustration in charity giving Seeking celebrity Makers Individual departments within companies can impact their choice of causes with a Makerble Bundle that is linked to the companys Makerble Page Exploring partnership with intermediary organisation to reach the Top 100 graduate employers Big market: Only 2% of University Student Reps: engaging students directly and giving societies to their own Bundles Entertainment venues: clubs, bars, restaurants Hobbyists: e.g. members of Meetup.com groups can impact their choice of causes with Seeded campaign video Earned Media: Makers Change Stories published to their social networks Owned Media: charities can engage existing supporters, e.g. using Makerble Charity Facebook App, email newsletter, etc. Brands distribute match-funding vouchers to their customers to support their own choice of projects or projects highlighted by the brand.
21. Team Back Office: Finance, Legal, Technology, Design Front Office: New Business, Customer Experience CEO: Ma Kepple - Team management - Investment raising - Serial innovator in behaviour change for social good - Marke ng, insight, grass root fundraising, social enterprise background Commercial Director: Ahmed Al-aagam - Revenue, pricing, contracts, budge ng - Charity trustee, public service consultancy CEO - Management experience in fashion label, music, fes vals, youth arts Head of Social Progress: Annabel Dickson - Recrui ng & on-boarding change-making orgs - PR and policy-shaping in impact & funding debates - Co-founded YTFN - Solo world tour evalua ng chari es - Built 10:10s fundraising department Head of Corporate Services: Kate Gault - New business - Client management - Adver sing background: Account Director handling Walkers, Financial Times, The Stroke Associa on. - Client-side: Marke ng Manager at ITV for Drama Lead Developer: Sebas en Bourdu - Managing developers - Site architecture - Founded lee r.com, comemo.org Lead Designer: Theo Louca - Branding, look & feel, wireframes, user journeys, designs - CEO of Rawww Head of Product Consumer Services: Kate Campbell - UX & Innova on - Customer acquisi on - Code campaign - Super User engagement - Psychology, ac ng, student fundraising events, teaching background Growth Hacker: Liam Reynolds - Site Op misa on - A/B tes ng - Former Data Planning Partner at Engine Group servicing T- Mobile and other clients 0.2FTFT 0.4FT 0.4FT 0.4FTCONSULTANT CONSULTANT CONSULTANT
22. Highsocial giving High Evidence of Impact Low Evidence of Impact Impact reports Progress newsfeed Majority of chari es fundraising appeals Dona on ac vity in social newsfeeds Member get Member fundraising via email Specific projects Profiles of other donors are shown Low social giving
23. Breakeven: 40,000 subscribers at 10/month [0.5% market share of 9.5million people market] Monthly Burn: 20k [9k Biz Dev, 6k Tech, 5k Ops] Amount Requested: Round 1: 25k for 12% equity beta launch Oct-Dec 2013 Round 2: 250k for 14% equity for 9 month runway Q1-Q3 2014 P&L- Expanded Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5 Sept 2013 - Aug 2014 Sept 2014 - Aug 2015 Sept 2015 - Aug 2016 Sept 2016 - Aug 2017 Sept 2017 - Aug 2018 Income 63,119 6,493,006 32,563,271 36,693,109 41,346,714 Expenditure 252,471 536,559 627,379 710,851 747,819 Business Development 108,400 243,000 418,000 442,000 450,000 Technology 76,794 43,369 83,369 103,369 103,369 Operations 65,374 117,538 123,218 162,690 191,658 Financing 1,9