2. Draw places where water is being used around the school.Place:Place: Place:Name: Name:Name:
3. Write a sentence about howwater is used in your school.
4. Design a voki which tells aboutwhere water is used. Click on thepicture to go to www.voki.com
5. Teachers pageFoundation YearScience UnderstandingsBiological ScienceContent descriptor Elaborations Living things have basic identifying the needs of humans such asneeds, including food andwarmth, food and water, using studentswater (ACSSU002) own experiences Declarative Knowledge Procedural Knowledge Know that water is used for different Predict what water looks, sounds and feels like in different purposes at school such as drinking,situations. cleaning and toilets. Observe and collect data in different scenarios where water is used in a school context Analyse data and draw conclusions on why water is needed within the school contextClick here to view suggestions forclassroom use.
6. Suggestions for Classroom Use This task card enables students to consider how they use water through the use of a POE scaffold and the inclusion of aschool context to enable students to view hands on uses of water. It is recommended students work in groups toencourage collaborative learning and discussion about the uses of water. The task card is designed to be both printableso each student may use the templates to complete the tasks and viewed online, so the teacher may explain each of thetasks to the students. Text has been included to develop student knowledge of text types and to remind teachers andaides of the tasks; however, picture cues have been incorporated to ensure comprehension of the task and facilitate thestudents ability to complete the task independently. The task card can be enlarged to form a class science journal. Students will need a basic prior knowledge of water and needs of humans. This card could be used to scaffold studentsduring the explore phase of the 5 es to encourage students to explore their world. The first card (predict) is a Y-chartwhere students consider what water looks, sounds and feels like designed to stimulate prior knowledge and focus theirthinking. (Some students may prefer to predict water uses in this section.) The second card (observe) is designed to allow students to draw images of places where water is used throughout theschool. The teacher can photograph different places to be incorporated in the class journal. As a furtherinvestigation, students can consider how other living things use water, such as animals and plants. A teacher and aideshould accompany students to ensure they remain safe. Students select one image and write a sentence answering the question How is water used in our school? Depending onthe level of the students, the student may have to dictate the sentence to the teacher. Further Investigation Students use voki to create a speaking avatar which communicates their scientific knowledge on how water is used intheir school. With teacher and aide support, students would type their sentence into their avatar and adjust itscharacteristics to ensure it conveyed the intended message. Teacher scaffolding would be necessary to ensure studentsare able to use the technology appropriately. The vokis could then be collated on a wiki page or website, to develop thestudents ability to communicate to an audience.