HRPBC Annual Conference May 18 & 19 -- Keynote address by John Spence: Leader of the Future
- 1. The Leader of the Future HRPBC Annual ConferenceJohn Spence
2. For the past 22 years 3. 4. 5. Can Leadership Be Taught? 6. It is NOT aboutMoney Power Position Title 7. Tuesday,May 10, 2011 Is Leadership Overrated?(maybe not, but only when it is genuine) 8. High Potential / High Performance Abbott, GE, Merrill Lynch, Microsoft,IBM, Qualcomm, State Farm, Mayo Clinic 9. The Six Cs of Leadership
10. C haracter 11. The Leadership Challengeby Kouzes and Posner 12. I want a leader who will:
- Has a clear vision for where we are going.
- Has the skills to get us there successfully.
- And is excited about going with me.
13. Anne Mulcahy FormerCEO of Xerox and at one time ranked the third most powerful woman in the world!
- Build a network of great relationships with people who want to see you succeed.
- You dont have all of the answers, so ask for help and advice from the smartest people you can find.
- Listen intently to your employees and to your customers.
Some really great advice 14. C ourage
- TO MAKEGREATTHINGS HAPPEN!!!!
15. To be Vulnerable 16. Ask GREAT questions C ommunications and LISTEN! 17. The 4 Cs of TRUST Competence Respect Dis-trust Affection TRUST HIGH LOW LOW HIGH Concern 18. I am good at what I do and I do it because I care about you. 19. C ompetency
- Help me see my importance
C ompassion = SBA 22. Winning Culture =Fun, Family, Friends, Fair, Freedom, Pride, Praise, Meaning, Accomplishment 23. GenX YandC Respect Freedom Life-balance Accomplishment Appreciation Meaning 24. C ontribution 25. And this city is 26. Some shocking data
- The Mayor of Detroit has admitted that while the official unemployment rate in Detroit is 27%, the real unemployment rate in his city is somewhere around50% .
- House prices of under $1,000 are quite common in Detroit now, and there are some houses in the city that you can actually buy for just one dollar.
- Emergency financial manager Robert Bobb has announced a plan to close 44Detroit schools.
- According to one estimate, the city of Detroit has33,500empty houses and91,000 vacant residential lots
- In 1994 the combinedPROFITSof Ford, General Motors and Chrysler=$13.9 billion.
(remember they follow YOUR lead!) 29. The Six Cs of Leadership
30. Thank You If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to send a note or call.My email address is: firstname.lastname@example.orgMy twitter address is:@awesomelysimple Please feel free to friend me on FB Also, you might find value in the ideas I share in my blog. You can sign up for it at: www.blog.johnspence.com Lastly, these slides have already been uploaded to: www.slideshare.net/johnspence