This is the slide deck from the Leveraging LinkedIn webinar for UGA Alumni on Oct. 8, 2014. Includes introductory information and networking examples.
Text of Leveraging LinkedIn: Intro Slides and Networking Examples
1. Leveraging LinkedIn For Networking and Career Success Andrew Crain, Assistant Director The University of Georgia Career Center firstname.lastname@example.org
2. LinkedIn: Why Should I Care? Over 310 million users worldwide 2 new users added each second 3 million+ companies on LinkedIn Executives from all Fortune 500 companies Hiring solutions used by 94 of the Fortune 100
3. What is LinkedIn?
4. Appropriate Usage Acceptable: Talking to strangers Sharing news about a job/internship Posting articles related to your career interests Unacceptable: Status updates about your sports team, fundraising cause, or crummy day Pictures of your cat Informal grammar or communication style
5. Success Stories Just emailing to thank you for your support and suggestions lately. I havefound a position at an engineering firm in Augusta. I start Monday! I took your advice and started reaching out to Engineers in the area, and the first one I called offered me a job a week later. (University of Georgia Student)
6. Success Stories
7. Todays Agenda 1. What is LinkedIn? 2. Walk-Through of Basic Functions: a) Building a Profile b) Networking c) Research 3. Tips for Personal Branding Emphasis on Connecting with Decision-Makers and Harnessing LinkedIns Massive Data Pool!
8. LinkedIn for Sales: http://specialedition.linkedin.com/tracking?page_key=biz_slc_slideshare_tips-for-social-selling-professionals_ click&redir=http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/13607575?rel=0
9. LinkedIn for Sales: The best reps are not just present in social media, they position themselves as credible and influential sources in customer networks. Sales Executive Council Effective use of sales intelligence increases revenue productivity per sales rep by 17%. CSO Insights http://specialedition.linkedin.com/tracking?page_key=biz_slc_slideshare_tips-for-social-selling-professionals_ click&redir=http://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/13607575?rel=0
10. Crafting a Networking Message Key Networking Takeaways: Emphasize common bonds/connections Frame your initial request with the goal of networking or learning more Always request information NOT a job If the person is open to helping, it is ok to ask for a referral: Who else would you suggest I speak with about these interests? Be gracious say thank you!
11. Crafting a Networking Message Examples:
12. Crafting a Networking Message Examples:
13. Crafting a Networking Message Examples: Hi Kyle, Im a Theater grad from the University of Georgia with an interest in the IT services field. Im hoping to grow my network in the Atlanta area and I was wondering if I could connect with you. Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Andrew
14. Crafting a Networking Message Examples: Message 1 Hi Kyle, Im a Theater grad from the University of Georgia with an interest in the IT services field. Im hoping to grow my network in the Atlanta area and I was wondering if I could connect with you. Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Andrew Message 2 (AFTER Connecting) Hi Kyle, Thanks for connecting with me. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from your career path and experience. Ive been researching the IT field as I prepare for my next career transition and I have to say that Ive heard a lot of great things about Pardot! Would it be possible for me to chat with you sometime to learn more about the company? Id love some feedback on how you got into the industry with a Theater background and any tips you could share for my job search. I promise not to take more than 20 minutes of your time if youd like to chat over the phone or via email. Thanks again for connecting and for considering my request!
15. Closing Points: Call to Action Review Your Profile: What can you do to take it BEYOND the resume stage? Start Connecting: Use LinkedIn to keep track of current and new contacts. Maintain an Active Presence: Keep your profile up to date and submit regular (2-3 per month) status updates. Begin Connecting Strategically to Enhance Your Network or Improve Your Professional Knowledge!
16. Questions? Andrew Crain, Assistant Director The University of Georgia Career Center email@example.com **Please complete your surveys and give us feedback on this program!**