Designers and comics share a long love affair that dates back pretty darn far. As two disciplines that share the integration of typography and images, there are many problems that both comickers and designers have had to solve. In this (hopefully) fun talk, Ross Nover will be reviewing the comics medium and various points of inspiration that designers can learn from their long-lost cousins the comic artists. Ross is a former (and hopefully future) professor of graphic design at American University and is the co-host of Super Art Fight, a touring action-packed art performance competition. We're excited to have him bring his unique perspective on design to this month's Refresh! This month's meeting starts promptly at 7pm, but show up early to mingle, grab a bite, and get a good seat.
Text of A Dose of Design Inspiration from Comic Strips
1. A Dose of Design Inspirationfrom Comic StripsRefresh DCTuesday, October 23, 2012
2. A Dose of Design Inspirationfrom Comic StripsRefresh DCTuesday, October 23, 2012@Rosscott #RefreshDC
5. The System www.systemcomic.com MOORES LAW: MURPHYS LAW: Computers will get Anything that can go exponentially faster. wrong will go wrong. ROSSCOTTS LAW: What do you MEAN The faster the computer, Unexpectedly Quit?the faster it can go wrong.
6. So you found something cool on the Internet... LOL BUTTZ A helpful chart from Loldwell.com and SystemComic.com How cool was it? KEEP OMG AMAZING! Pretty meh. DICKING I need to share! cool AROUND Is anyone around? This is cool and Is it worth sharing? * I am cool for sharing it. YES! ....No (so alone) K! Nah. Editors Note: This is known as the TO THE INTERNET! ROFL or repetitive online feedback loop.On the originalartists website! Im a BIG FAN. I dunno, I was dickin So, where did around on, ______ you find it? (insert procrasti-aggregator) Of OMG Does it have Are you going it even has a a watermark? course! to give credit watermark! where credit is due? Nope Lets GO! TO THE GOOGLES! Who Seriously? cares? Professor Someone worked Internet sez: hard on this dude, Heck yeah, AND I Whats the dont be that guy. replaced the watermark Be sure to provide appropriate point? w/ my shitty blogs links to the original creator SHITTIER logo! and their website. they haz Youre right talent and deservz ur respeks. Doesnt that take ABSOLUTELY. more effort and make you look like a douchebag?loldwell.comsystemcomic.com
7. Why Comics / Design?
8. Storytelling Editing Composition Writing Illustrations ClientsPoop Jokes Words / Visuals Helvetica Adobe Web Stuff Creative Promotion
9. COMICS Idea Sketch Ink ColorLOGO DESIGN Idea Sketch B/W ColorWEB DESIGNContent Wireframes Design Development
10. Section 1:The Art in Comics
13. The System www.rosscottinc.com Whats it like when People. Go. Apeshit. it snows here?