Text of 课标人教实验版 高一 Module 2 Unit 1 Reading Do you know what cultural relics are? Cultural...
课标人教实验版高一 Module 2
Do you know what cultural relics are?
Cultural relics are traces or features
surviving from a past age and serving to
remind people of them.
Ming Dynasty vase
The Pyramids in Egypt
The Taj Mahal (In India)
The Sydney Opera (in Australia)
ivory dragon boat
Mogao Caves (In China)
1. Do you know these famous places? If you
know, what do you know about them?
2. Which one do you like to visit? Why?
3. What makes a city great and famous? (a
long history; cultural relics; many great
people; important events taking place
1. What do you think of the cultural relics?
2. Suppose one of them got lost, how would you feel and what will you do with it?
(Try our best to find it; Protect the others in order that they will not get lost; Rebuild a new one if we really can’t find it.)
In Search of the Amber Room (Prussia)
The Amber Room was made of almost seven thousand tons of amber. It was built in Prussia. Then, the king, Frederick William I, sent it to Peter the Great as a gift of friend-ship. And it soon became part of the winter palace. Later, Catherine
had her artists add more details to its Ⅱdesign. In September, 1941 the Nazi German army secretly stole the Amber Room and then it disappeared mystically.
Task 1: Fast reading
1. What does the text tell us about amber?
2. How many tons of amber were used to make the Amber Room?
3. What else were used to make the room besides amber?
4. Why was the Amber Room first built?
5. When and why did Frederick William I
give the Amber Room to Peter the Great?
6. What did Peter the Great give in return?
7. What did Catherine the Great do with th
e Amber Room ？8. When and how was the Amber Room su
pposed to have been lost?
1. The king of Prussia who gave the
Amber Room as a gift to Russia
Frederick I B.
Frederick William I C.
Peter the Great D.
Task 2: Careful reading—Detailed
2. The king of Prussia gave the Amber
Room to Russia because_____.
A. he wanted to marry
Catherine II. B. he was kind.
C. he needed better
soldiers D. he wanted to
3. The Amber Room was stolen by___. A. Russian soldiers B. German soldiers C. People in Konigsberg D. People in St Petersburg
4. In 1941, the city of Konigsberg was in ___. A. Germany B. Russia C. Sweden D. France
5. The Russians didn’t hide the Amber
Room because ______.
A. they were at war
B. the couldn’t find a place
C. the German soldiers arrived too soon
D. no train could take it away
1. How was the Amber Room made?
2. Why did the King of Prussia give the
Amber Room to the Czar of Russia
as a gift?
Task 3: Main idea of each paragraphTask 3: Main idea of each paragraph
3. How did the Amber Room become one
of the wonders of the world.
4. How did the Amber Room get lost.
5. How was a new Amber Room built.
Task 4 Fill in the form:
Year What happened to the Amber Room
In 1716 , Frederick William I gavethe Amber Room to Peter the Great , as a gift of friendship from Prussian to the Russian people.
In 1770, the Amber Room wascompleted the way Catherine Ⅱwanted it.
In September, 1941, the Nazi German and Russia were at war, and the Amber Room was missing.
In the spring of 2003, a new Amber Room was built at the Summer Palace, and it was 300 years old.
The characteristics of the passage
This passage tells the history of the
Amber Room in the order of time so that
we can clearly know what happened to
it. Besides the passage uses the Past
Listen to the tape and follow it to read
What should we do to protect our
1. rare: 稀罕的 , 稀有的 a rare disease 罕见的病2. valuable 贵重的 , 有价值的 Gold is valuable because it is a scarce
3. survive vt &vi 幸存 Fortunately he survived the traffic accide
Camels can survive for many days with n
survivor (n.) 幸存者 survival (n.) 幸存 The helicopter picked up all the ________.
They prayed for the _______ of the sailors
4. 情态动词 +have done ( 对过去发生的事实的推测 )
He paid for a seat when he _____ have entered free. (could /would / must / need)
I _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened. (shouldn’t / couldn’t / mustn’t / needn’t)
5. gift 礼物 ; 天赋 He has got lots of birthday gifts.
He is a man of gifts. 他多才多艺。 The boy has a gift for music.
gifted (adj.) 有天赋的
6. amazing 令人惊喜的 an amazing achievement/discovery
惊人的成就 / 发现 amazed adj. 吃惊的 , 惊奇的 I was amazed at his stupidity.
Visitors were _____ at the _____
soaring drive of our shipbuilders.
A. amazed; amazing
B. amazed; amazed
C. amazing; amazing
D. amazing; amazed
7. design (v. / n.)
(1) They ________ the building carefully.
(2) The experiment ____________ test the
new drug. ( 打算将…用作… )
(3) I like the ______ of the new school.
(4) Children above 12 are able to take part
in skiing or other activities ________ (d
esign) for them. (05 丰台统考 )
is designed to
8. fancy adj.
(1) fancy clothes 新奇服装(2) Fancy meeting you here!
(3) I don’t fancy walking in the snow.
我不喜欢在雨中行走。 have a fancy for… 爱好 , 爱上 , 入迷 fancy sb. doing sth. 想象某人做某事
9. in return 回报 , 作为报酬 What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us?
我们将怎样来报答他们所给予我们的种种帮助呢 ? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn 轮流地 , 依次 ; 反过来 by turns 轮流地 , 时而…时而…
10. 区别： state, country, nation, 三个词都表示“国家” : state 则重于政权 , country 则重于疆土 , 而 nation 则重于民族• Our ________ is larger than Japan.• Our Chinese ______ is playing an important role in the world now.• Anyone who gives out the _____ secret will be punished seriously.
11. serve as 用作 , 适合That cup will serve as a sugar bowl.
serve 服务 , 供职serve under the king
serve for 为谁服务 I have served for this company for 2
12. 介词 + 名词 ( 表状态 )
13. There’s no doubt that… There’s no need to do / for sth / sb There’s no possibility that… (It’s) no wonder (that)… 难怪…(1) Do you doubt ____ she will succeed?(2) I doubt _________ he will keep his w
ord.(3) I have no doubt ____ he will win the
14. remain (1) vi. 留下 , 遗留 I went to the city, but my brother rem
ained at home. (2) link-verb. 后接 n. /adj. / 介词短语
/ 表位置的 adv. My friend became a boss, but I remai
ned a teacher. The death of the old man remained u
nknown. The problem remains to be discussed.
Nothing remains but to send the invitation out. ( 只要…就行了 )It only remains for me to sign the paper that you gave me. ( 某人所要做的只是某事 )He bought a new book with the _________ ( 剩下的 ) 40 yuan.=He bought a new book with the 40 yuan ___. ( 剩下的 )
--- Why do you look so upset?
--- There are so many
troublesome problems ___.
A. remaining to
C. remaining to be settled
D. remained to be settled.
a. 以前的 , 从前的Her former husband 她的前夫n. 前者Of the two possibilities, the former
seems more likely.
16. worth, worthy, worth-while 都为 adj.
意为“值得”• worth: be worth + n. 当名词为金钱时 , 表示“…… 值得……”be worth doing sth. “… 某事值得被做”The question is not worth discussing agai
n and again.
• worthy: be worthy of +n. 当名词为抽象名词时表示 “…值得……” be worthy to be done " 某事值得被做 "
The question is not worthy to be discus
sed again and again.
• worth-while: be worth-while to do
sth “值得做某事” It is worth while doing sth
It is worth while sb to do sth.
典型例题It is not ____ to discuss the question a
gain and again.
A. worth B. worthy C. worth-while D. worth while
答案 C. 由 worth 的用法可知，此句只适合词组 be worth-while to do sth. 。因此选 C 。