125 Years of ExcellenceT H E O H I O S T A T E U N I V E R S I T Y C O L L E G E O F P H A R M A C Y
CelebratingThroughout its history, the College of Pharmacy at The Ohio State University has been a leader in pharmacy practice, education, and research.
The roots of the College can be traced back to chemistry professor Sidney A. Norton, MD, PhD, one of seven men who comprised the first faculty in 1873 when Ohio State was first established. Norton, who had studied in Germany, incorporated the European practice of linking together pharmacy and chemistry. In 1883, the Department of Chemistry offered a voluntary class in Materia Medica. Three students in the class passed the first examination conducted by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy in May, 1884. With a $200 initial budget for supplies, George B. Kauffman was named the head of the department, and would become its first dean.
From its infancy, the College was at the forefront of curriculum design for the field. Increased standards were often first implemented at Ohio
State, including increasing the difficulty of existing classes, the number of required courses, and the length of studies. Ohio State led the way in all these areas, challenging other schools and colleges of pharmacy.
The new department was first housed in the Chemical Laboratory Building, but was soon moved to Botanical Hall, a move that spared it from the fire that engulfed the Chemical Laboratory in 1889. The department moved to a new Chemical Hall in 1891, becoming an independent college in 1895, until the Hall, too, burned down in 1904. The Veterinary Laboratory served as a temporary home for the College while a new Chemical Hall was being built. The new Chemical Hall housed the College from 1906 to 1928. A new Chemistry Building served as another temporary home for the College until the Pharmacy and Bacteriology Building was completed in 1930. The Pharmacy and Bacteriology Building served the College for nearly four decades, but booming postwar enrollments caused the College to once again outgrow its space. In 1967, the College moved to its present home,
125 Years of Excellence
named Lloyd M. Parks Hall in honor of its fourth dean who was instrumental in making the new facilities a reality.
In addition to research and education, the College of Pharmacy has long held service as a core value to its mission. From its earliest continuing education lectures in 1938 to todays numerous outreach activities including Generation Rx and Prescription with a Smile, helping Ohios communities has remained a priority to the faculty, staff, and students of the College.
Today, The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy continues its tradition of excellence, shaping the field of pharmacy, both in practice and scientific discovery, through education, research, and service.
Learn more at pharmacy.osu.edu/anniversary
4 The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
Pharmacy is moved to Botanical Hall.Instruction begins in the Department of Chemistry with David OBrine conducting a voluntary class in materia medica in the Chemical Laboratory Building.
The University creates a Department of Pharmacy with a 2-year course leading to a certificate of Graduate in Pharmacy (PhG) in response to a pharmacy practice act requiring an examination for persons who wished to practice pharmacy. George Beecher Kauffman is hired as Lecturer in Pharmacy.
Ohio State becomes the first in the nation to require a 3-year Graduate in Pharmacy (PhG) degree. Twelve students are enrolled.
1883 1885 1886 1888
125 Years of Excellence 5
Pharmacy moves from Botanical Hall to the second Chemistry Building (present site of Brown Hall).
As part of a university-wide plan, the department becomes the College of Pharmacy with G.B. Kauffman as dean. Along with five other units, they are the first colleges on campus. 48 students are enrolled in two programs; an optional 2-year course leading to a Certificate of Pharmaceutical Chemist (PhC) or a 4-year course leading to a BSc in Pharmacy.
1891 1895 1897 1900
Arthur Lawrence becomes the first African American graduate of the College of Pharmacy.
The first bachelor of science is granted to Charles H. Kimberly.
6 The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
1904 1906 1915 1925
On February 19, the second Chemistry Building burns down when a gas burner is left on in one of the classrooms. Pharmacy moves to the Veterinary Laboratory.
Pharmacy moves to its first permanent home in the third Chemical Hall, today called Derby Hall.
Claire A. Dye is appointed the second dean of the college.
The College withdraws the 2-year program, becoming the first in the nation to require a 4-year baccalaureate program, a requirement that would not be enforced by all schools and college of pharmacy until 1932.
125 Years of Excellence 7
1928 1930 1939 1943
While Derby Hall undergoes renovations, the College moves to the new Chemistry Building, now called McPherson Chemical Laboratories.
The College of Pharmacy moves into the Pharmacy and Bacteriology Building located at 1958 Neil Avenue, built with a $250,000 legislative appropriation successfully initiated by Dean Dye.
Bernard V. Christensen is appointed dean. That same year, the College establishes graduate programs at the NS and PhD levels.
Arthur E. Schwarting becomes the first PhD graduate of the College under the direction of his major professor, L. David Hiner.
8 The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
1947 1948 1955 1956 1967
Roy C. Darlington becomes the first African American in the nation to graduate with a PhD in the pharmaceutical sciences.
Ohio State becomes the first college in the nation to require a 5-year program. A 2+3 program was implemented. This would not be a requirement enforced by all colleges of pharmacy until 1960.
Loyd E. Harris is appointed interim dean.
Lloyd M. Parks is appointed dean of the College.
On August 15, 1967, The College moves to 500 W. 12th Ave. There are 24 full-time and 11 part-time faculty.
125 Years of Excellence 9
1970 1972 1977 1978
The college changes from the 2+3 program to a 1+4 program.
The College installs its first computer.
The building on W. 12th Ave. is dedicated as the Lloyd M. Parks Hall in honor of the Colleges fourth dean. Albert H. Soloway is appointed the fifth dean.
The College initiates its Professional Experience Program with required externship rotations and institutional practice.
10 The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
1981 1988 1994 1999
The College of Pharmacy Alumni Society is chartered. Josephine Sitterle Failer, a 1939 graduate of the College, is named the first president.
John M. Cassady is appointed dean.
The Vernal G. Riffe Building is dedicated and contains the new Biological Sciences and Pharmacy Library and research facilities.
A collaborative practice clinic (University Health Connection) is added on the southwest side of Parks Hall.
125 Years of Excellence 11
2001 2003 2006 2010
The College implements the Non-Traditional PharmD as the first distance-learning, web-based degree program at Ohio State.
Robert W. Brueggemeier is appointed dean.
The College of Pharmacy becomes among the first in the nation to require a baccalaureate degree before matriculation into the Doctor of Pharmacy program.
The College of Pharmacy celebrates 125 years of education and research while looking ahead to the future of pharmacy.
12 The Ohio State University College of Pharmacy
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF PHARMACY500 W. 12TH AVE. COLUMBUS, OHIO 43210 PHARMACY.OSU.EDU