Embed Size (px)
Text of 3 Revolutions
- 1. Three Revolutions The Glorious Revolution The American Revolution The French Revolution
2. The Glorious Revolution 3. What was the Glorious Revolution?
- In 1653 parliament was dissolved became a military dictatorsip, people were unhappy
- In 1660 the throne was restored (restoration)
- Parliaments powers returned (no taxes without consent)
- Habeas Corpus Act (right to a fair trial, mentioned in US constitution)
4. What was the affect of the Glorious Revolution?
- Turning point in English constitutional history
- Parliament limited monarchs power and control
- England became a constitutional monarchy (powers of monarch are limited by constitution)
- English bill of rights was created
- Formal summary of the rights and libertiesof the people
- Monarch was forbidden to make decisions without parliament approval
6. How did the American Revolution start?
- -Britain believed American colonies should pay taxes in return for security
- -Colonists believed no taxation without representation (Parliament was not representing colonists)
- -Colonists also wanted to expand west
7. 8. What happened during the American Revolution?
- Colonists fight started in 1775
- Declaration of In dependence signed in 1776
- In 1781 British armies surrendered
- Loose confederation, afraid of strong government
- Government was too weak, couldnt tax or make treaties
9. What happened after the American Revolution?
- 1787 a group of leaders met in Philadelphia
- Model for new democracies around the world
- Great debate over strong vs. weak government
- Set up a representative government
- Federal government was formed
10. How did the French Revolution begin?
- -People were unhappy with monarchy
- -Clergy and nobility had priveleges
- -only commoners paid taxes
- -Inspired by American revolution
- -people were hungry and felt the king didnt care
- Enlightenment caused people to rethink ideas
- Peasant uprising across country
- Fought to win democratic freedom
13. What happened after the French Revolution?
- National Assembly made needed changes
- Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen was created
- Strongly influenced by enlightenment and American Declaration of Independence
- New Assembly not accepted by the king or aristocrats
- Other European nations with absolute monarchies feared democracy
- 1792- royal family imprisoned, radical legislature took charge
- Reign of terror began-people killed for believing in revolution
- 1799, Military leader, Napoleon Bonaparte took charge and created a dictatorship
- Not until mid1800s that democracy developed in France
15. Reign of Terror film 16. Fr and Am rev comparison- film