Text of Do you want to know more about the Amber Room?
Do you want to know more about the Amber Room?
The beauty of St Petersburg
Overlooking St Petersburg
Destroyed St Petersburg
Destroyed building Restored building
Rebuilt St Petersburg In the Amber room there once lived.
Frederick William I Peter the Great
Reading Task 1: Fast readingMain idea 1) Why is it called the Amber Room? (It was given the name because several tons of amber were used to make it.) 2) What happened to the Amber Room? (The Amber Room was given to the Russian people as a great gift by the King.)
The passage tells the history of the Amber Room in the order of time so that we can clearly know what happened to it. Main idea of the passage
1. imagine vt. n. imagination (1) You cant imagine how I miss you all. (2) We can hardly imagine life without water. (3) Can you imagine her becoming a thief? = Can you imagine her as a thief?
2. gift ; He has got lots of birthday gifts. He is a man of gifts. The boy has a gift for music. gifted (adj.)
could couldnt 3. +have done ( ) He paid for a seat when he _____ have entered free. (could /would / must / need) I _______ have been more than six years old when the accident happened. (shouldnt / couldnt / mustnt / neednt)
4. design (v. / n.) (1) They ________ the building carefully. (2) The experiment ____________ test the new drug. ( ) (3) I like the ______ of the new school. (4) Children above 12 are able to take part in skiing or other activities ________ (design) for them. designed is designed to design
5. fancy adj. (1) fancy clothes (2) Fancy meeting you here! ! (3) I dont fancy walking in the snow. have a fancy for , , fancy sb. doing sth.
7. decorate v. to add sth. to an object or place, especially in order to make it more attractive: They decorated the wedding car with ribbons and flowers.
8. belong vi. (1) After three years in Cambridge, I finally feel as if I belong here. belong to belong to sb. to be someones property: (1) This book belongs to Sarah. (2) You shouldnt take what doesnt belong to you. belong to sth. to be a member of a group or organization: (1) They belong to the same chess club.
9. in return , What can we do for them in return for all the help they have given us? ? I gave him some books in return for his assistance. in turn , ; by turns ,
10. This was a time when the two countries __________. The two countries __________________ for many years. People there are suffering a lot. were at war have been at war =fighting against each other
+ ( ) at war/work/home/table on show/duty/sale/holiday/fire/watch in trouble/danger/battle/doubt under repair/discussion/construction
11. less than The young man is less than twenty years old 20 no less than = as much as not less than
12. Theres no doubt that Theres no need to do / for sth / sb Theres no possibility that (Its) no wonder (that) (1)Do you doubt ____ she will succeed? (2)I doubt _________ he will keep his word. (3)I have no doubt ____ he will win the game. that if/whether that
1. Remember the useful words and expressions. 2. Prepare for the next period. Homework