English has become the international and common language in the world, it has also become one of the components of tertiary, secondary, primary and even pre-school education in the EFL teaching contexts. There is now a growing tendency among Indonesian people to introduce English to children starting from the early age, through either formal or informal education. This can be seen from the mushrooming of bilingual and international schools where English is used as the language of instruction as well as the increasing number of English courses aimed especially for children.
ENGLISH FOR YOUNG LEARNERS
BY :I MADE RIAN IRWANTO (A1D2 11 101)RONA FAJAR WANA (A1D2 11 079) SARTIKA LISMAWATI (A1D2 12 109)MAGDALENA HUTABARAT (A1D2 12 113)ERINDA SAPTARINA (A1D2 12 115)
ENGLISH DEPARTMENT TEACHER TRAINING AND EDUCATION FACULTYHALU OLEO UNIVERSITYKENDARI2014
1. BackgroundEnglish has become the international and common language in the world, it has also become one of the components of tertiary, secondary, primary and even pre-school education in the EFL teaching contexts. There is now a growing tendency among Indonesian people to introduce English to children starting from the early age, through either formal or informal education. This can be seen from the mushrooming of bilingual and international schools where English is used as the language of instruction as well as the increasing number of English courses aimed especially for children. There has been English for Young Learners among Indonesian people, especially those living in big cities. They ambitiously try to instill English into their children by sending them to play groups, kindergarten or courses offering English designed especially for children. Schools which offer bilingual classes are also of parents favorite. Having children who are able to use English seems to be considered a necessity in this current age of globalization. Most people think that English is taught best at the early stage. They believe that the earlier children learn English, and the more exposure to the language, the better it will be. This actually is a fallacy because the success of foreign language learning is not merely determined by the age and exposure factors. There are still many other factors that have to be considered to make sure that. Ironically, in Indonesia some English teachers of young learners teaching in the pre-school education (play group and kindergarten) have never been a young foreign language learner themselves or never experienced being a student in a young learner English class.Teaching English to Young Learners will be effective, such as the nature of language instruction given, psychological and social factors, teaching materials, individual differences in cognitive and learning styles, and many other factors. Teachers of English for young learners need to be creative to make atmosphere in the class is fun, one of strategy to learn English for Young Learners is playing games. Much kind of games is appropriate to apply in teaching English for Young Learners. For example, the game Where and what am I it is very appropriate games to teach new vocabulary to young learners, it can make the young learner be fun and be active. So, to teaching English for Young Learners, the teacher should be creative to combine strategy and approach in teaching young learner, and also should be properly handled if it is to be successful. It needs highly skilled and dedicated teaching.
2. ProblemBased on the background, the problems of this study are:a. How to apply games in teaching English for young learners (in this case is Where and what am I games?
3. Purpose Based on the problem statement, the purposes of this study are:a. To know how to play Where and what am I games in teaching English for Young Learners.
4. ScopeThe scope of this study is the students in English for Young Learners class. They are the students who took English for Young Learners as one of their subject in this semester.
5. Place and TimeThis study has been done in Monday, June 23th 2014; at 14.00. This study has been done in class. Especially, in room C4, in front of class.
6. About the Game (Where and What am I?)This activity is a kind of vocabulary game in which the learners attention is focused mainly on words. It provides vocabulary practice and improves the memory. Moreover, this game is to introduction some things to young learner. Besides, this game is very fun, so the students will enjoy studying English in the class. This game is used in-of-class activity. They will not feel bored because this game makes the students more active. The activity may be linked with arts, it depends on teacher, if he/she wants to spend one whole lesson only with drawing pictures or he/she ask the art teacher to have an extra lesson, where children will draw pictures for the English game. Age: KindergartenLevel of English Difficulty: EasyNumber of Players: 10 (divide into 2 groups)Time for Play: 30 minutes Materials: 10 real objects (pen, pencil, eraser, ruler, book, paper, watch, key, tissue, and hat).Aims: Vocabulary practice, increase the power of their memory and enrich vocabulary.Preparation: Help students memorize the names of ten items, choose the students who will look for the hidden items.
7. Rules of the GameObject of the game: to be the fastest to find and identify the most object.a. Tell five players (group one) to hide their eyes while you or other players hide ten items.b. Tell five players the names of the ten things that are hidden around the room.c. The player should remember the names of the items and look for them.d. The player who finds the most items and remembers their English names wins the round.e. Tell five new players to hide their eyes while you hide the ten items.f. Remind the players of ten names of the items that they should find.g. The player who finds the most items and remembers their English names wins the round.h. Place the items on the table so that the winners of Rounds 1 and 2 can reach them.i. When you say the name of an item, the players should grab the items as quickly as possible.j. The one who grabs the most wins the game.
8. The Result of playing the GameAfter practicing this game in the class, we can conclude the result that we get.a. The student being more active;b. The student dont feel bored at the teaching process;c. The student know the things that we can find in the class room;d. This game is one of the good ways that we can use in the class to teaching vocabulary for the young learner. The teaching process will be more fun.
9. Suggestion After practicing this game in the class, we get some suggestion from our friends in the class. a. It will be better if the group of the student consist of girls and boys;b. It will be better if before we begin the game, the teacher mention the things that we will use in the game;c. It will be better if the things that we use in the part 1 and part 2 are different.d. But overall, based on their opinion, the game that we have simulated in the class is good. They love the way my friend as a teacher give the instruction to the student.
10. Evaluation of this activityAfter practicing this game in the class, we get more information of variation to make this game more fun and enjoy. There are:a. In the game, we should divide the young learner in two groups. To divide the young learner we dont make a group based on the gender, because it will make the young learner not appreciate the difference of gender. We have to mix them between boys and girls. So, they can appreciate the gender differences and not awkward to play with opposite gender.b. In the game, we have to introduce the objects that will be used in the game to make the young learners easily understand the objects. This will make the young learners recognize the object. Although, the object is different shape but have the same functionality.c. In the game, we can use more objects. It would be better if objects being used in the first group are different from the object will be use in the second group. So, the young learner will get more new vocabulary and also avoid cheating of the group who play in the second times.d. To make the young learner can be controlled with both in this game, is unbelievably good if the game is done in the class room.