Embed Size (px)
HOU Conference -- Yerkes 200716 Years of Hands-On Universe!
Real Data and Real Research!
Great Software, Curriculum, and Teacher Training!
Great TRA’s and Teachers!
Great, Inspired Students!
Great Outcomes for Children and Teachers!
It’s an honor and privilege to be here with you all!
• Dedication to students
• Dedication and service to teachers and other earthlings to learn real astrophysics!
• Advancing astronomy and knowledge of theCelestial Spheres.
• Particularly, advancing astronomy education andthe well-being of the planet.
This is very moving and inspiring to me!
We Have Had some Impact on Teachers --#’s Trained(error bars not known -- probably +50% and -30%):
We Have Reached Some Children:
Rationale for Astronomy Only Growing Stronger …
Children like it better than other sciences in school, e.g., 1= HOU provided Less, 5= They like it better than other sciences in school
--- Also,- children would consider careers in science and technology after HOU, (before they would not)
Students learn key Information Technology (IT) Skills -- >>
• Image Processing• Excel• Email• Collaboration Tools
Students learn key Department of Labor Skills (SCANS Skills) -- >>
• Teamwork• Cultural Diversity• Listening• Creative Thinking• Problem Solving• Decision Making• Visualization• Communication
Research Projects by Students and Teachers: Proven and Now Slowly Growing Again
• Early Supernovae and Asteroid Discoveries Indicated we have capabilities and market Harlan, Patrick, Kate, Kevin, and Kate CI-Team, and many others!• Shortage of Telescopes, coordinators, data tools stifled this• But Research is back now! Asteroids! Quasar Light Curves! Soon Exoplanets!
Global HOU Meeting in Tokyo, 2007:
China HOU Home Pagehttp://www.:chinahou.org
Beijing HOU Teacher Training Workhhop: July 21-24, 2007 !!
A few of the New Grants in Application:
• NSF DR K-12 Evaluation -- what specifically do HOU kids learn by doing HOU?
• Frontiers of Discovery -- after school use of PanSTARRS and other telescope networks
• ITEST -- after school use of telescope networks and data bases with Girl Scouts -- more SQL, real projects, etc.
• Rotary National/International/INTERCT Program
• Others I cannot talk about …
Incremental Grants or Teacher EnhancementEfforts Granted or in Discussion:
• WISE -- plans for asteroid search and funding to train ~120 new HOU teachers to find asteroids and use real WISE Data
• Kepler -- ExoPlanet Searches and Discovery
• Discussions in Process with other Telescope Networks to help their Teacher Enhancement
• Viv’s ISE Grant-- YAAYS -- 40 teachers, 250 children!
• Bellevue (Washington) Light, Earth-moon system grant (part of Gates) -- holds potential to acquire 100 HOU teachers in one fell swoop (more later in conference)
• SNAP, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope, State MSP’s (Viv’s ARCS, Jeremy’s)
Waiting for Big Enhancement Effort:
• NSF or Department of Education -- train another 1500 HOU Teachers in America (needs new Presidential Administration, results on DR-K12, or something) -- reach to 5th grade??
• Seeking Corporate Sponsor, align with GHOU
(see GHOU talk later)
• Other funders being sought (going to billionaires.com !)
Progress in Telescope Network
• Perth/RAE: 10,000 images in one month!
• Astronomical Research Institute and Bob Holmes to the Rescue for Projects!!
• Yerkes/Viv options -- in process
• Ironwood North, Jackson State, Michael Hibbs, Michael Ford, WKU, and others await integration and tools -- (PROMPT??)
• LCOGT charging ahead!
• Workshop to develop NSF proposal to allow these networks to communicate and share images.
Progress in Telescope Network, Continued
• IRO of Ken Archer! Turn-key, Internet telescope, on wheels
• ACP and other telescopes proliferating more and more.
• Technological and scientific and educational momentum is on our side!
Progress in Software
• New plans on HOU IP (see Alan’s talk)
• Salsa J work-around and possible future linkages somehow …
• We are very wise at the interface and what children and teachers need and want, which is a non-trivial state of affairs …
Progress in Curriculum --Bellevue Example
• Bellevue -- Part of district wide curriculum to be done by all teachers
• Addresses Students preconceptions
• Carefully orchestrated and scripted great pedagogy -- white boarding, model building, predictions, HOU measurements, technology, etc.
New Vibrant Partners and Projects
• George Smoot and the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics (more later)
• WISE (more later)
• Las Cumbres
• Dome A and Antarctic Astronomy
(coffee break or an extra talk)
• We rely on you all to bring in more partners and ideas, too.
Building BlocksBuilding Blocks
Why we want to do it? It is in schools that we change the world !!!
Who is our target? Educational System / Scientists & Society InteractionWhat we want to deliver / accomplish ?
Acquisition of key skills
Development of Critical Thinking
Teachers continuous professional development
CHANGE THE WAY WE TEACH AND LEARN
WE ALL LIVE ON THE SAME PLANET ...JUST 1 PLANET
WEBSITE TO EDUCATORS FROM EDUCATORS
One Stop Shop
NIACNúcleo de Investigação em
Astronomia da Cidadela
Rotary Clubs International!Rotary Clubs International!
and Critical Thinking
Important Key Skills to be developedTransversal to any area of expertise
A platform where all the resources will be available.
The meeting point of all countries, students and scientists
Observatories, Universities, Schools, Data Archives
Astronomy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geography, Social Education, History, etc
Rationale for Sponsor: “Billions of stars bringing your name to millions of people”
Trademarks associated to high
quality educational re
Teacher/Educators Training (Continuous Professional Development)
Resources (Production / Adaptation/ Updates/ Distribution/ Evaluation)
Host HOU Meetings
Get HOU going in Kenya as a pathfinder for Africa!
How can we do it efficiently with the minimum resources?
Africa HOU center in Kenya High
Stable, safe environment for computers, children, and
teachers Kenya Plan :
QuickTime™ and aYUV420 codec decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
Undertaken and Recorded with Sightspeed Software
• Train Teachers
• Keep Improving Infrastructure
• Prove it is working
• Improve Resources
• Get Money and more partners
• Aim for self-sustenance