1. Instruction provided by iclarified.comPhone | How to Unlock the iPhone 3G Thursday, 1st January 2009, 10:01 amThese are instructions on how to software unlock the iPhone 3G for use with any GSM cellphonecarrier.Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be onthe 02.28.00 baseband(modem firmware). This means that you must be running the 2.2 firmware.If you used PwnageTool to update to 2.2 from 2.1 you will have to re-jailbreak using aQuickPwn jailbreak tutorial for the time being.To find your firmware and modem firmware(baseband) versions you can follow this tutorial. Ifyou are not on firmware version 2.2 and baseband version 02.28.00 then you need to follow oneof these tutorials before unlocking: Mac, Windows Watch the Video!For your convenience this tutorial is available in video format also. Click the Watch It button toview the tutorial!Step OnePress to launch Cydia Installer from your SpringBoard.
2. Step TwoPress to select the Manage tab at the bottom of the screen.
3. Step ThreePress to select the large Sources button
4. Step FourPress the Edit button at the top right of the screen.
5. Step FivePress the Add button at the top left of the screen.
6. Step SixEnter http://apt9.yellowsn0w.com/ as the source url and press the Add Source button.
7. Step SevenOnce the source has been added press the large Return to Cydia button.
8. Step EightPress the Done button at the top right of the screen.
9. Step NinePress to select apt9.yellowsn0w.com from the list of user entered sources.
10. Step TenPress to select yellowsn0w from the list of packages
11. Step ElevenPress the Install button at the top right of the screen.
12. Step TwelvePress the Confirm button at the top right of the screen.
13. Step ThirteenAfter installation completes successfully press the large Return to Cydia button.
14. Step FourteenNow press the Home button then power off and power on the iPhone. You do this by holdingdown the power button for 3 seconds then moving the power slider that appears to the right.Press the power button again to turn on the phone.
15. Step FifteenYou should now be able to insert the SIM of your choice!***HINTS: It seems that getting your iPhone to pick up your new carrier can be helped byturning off 3G and perhaps toggling the Airplane Mode switch on and off. If you are still havingproblems try removing and reinserting the SIM or booting with the new SIM already inside.Finally, you can also try to Reset Network Settings from the Settings:General:Reset Menu.***IMPORTANT: For those having trouble. The yellowsn0w application can simply beuninstalled. If you have tried all the hints and suggestions and still have problems just use Cydiato remove the package and then reboot. You will then have service with your locked carrier asalways.***THANKS: A big thank you to all the members of the iPhone Dev-Team for all their hardwork! It is much appreciated by all.
16. ***UPDATES: The Dev-Team has made the following updates...1. Soon youll see yellowsn0w 0.9.1 in the repos. It uses a much longer delay to let your SIMcard initialize. If you have problems with 0.9.0, try this one and wait a full minute after you seehomescreen, then reinsert sim card. We need both success and failure reports to tune this acrossthe world, so please be patient (but please also report result!)2. If you are in the U.S. and are trying this with T-Mobile, you must turn off the 3G switch inSettings. Also if you are good with the command line, you can make it much easier by adding theline -q right after the /usr/bin/yellowsn0w line in /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.iphone-dev.yellowsn0w.plist (thats and advanced tip, hopefully someone will make a boosprefs type oftool for it)3. No PIN support yet. Remember how we said this was beta? Well were still working out theflow for SIMs with PINs enabled. Please disable any PIN you may have on that SIM beforetrying yellowsn0w, for now..------------------------------------------- 510 comments [add] | 128383 views [digg it] [buzz][del.icio.us] [stumbleupon] [email it]-------------------------------------------Recent iPhone Entries2009-01-01 10:51:17 - How to Unlock the iPhone 3G2008-12-31 19:00:01 - How to Find the Firmware and Baseband Version of Your iPhone2008-12-18 23:52:20 - How to Enable DFU Mode in Mac OS X 10.5.62008-12-12 19:24:26 - How to Copy and Paste Using PasteBud for iPhone2008-11-25 21:25:47 - How to Enable Japanese Emoticons on Your iPhone2008-11-23 20:33:17 - How to Select an iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak Tutorial2008-11-23 01:45:46 - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn(Windows)2008-11-23 01:12:50 - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone With QuickPwn (Mac) [Updated 2.2]2008-11-23 00:56:31 - How to Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 3G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)2008-11-22 23:09:14 - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone (Mac) [Updated 2.2][more][rss]Recent News Entries2009-01-08 23:52:15 - Boxee Alpha Opened for Mac, Ubuntu, and Apple TV2009-01-08 22:02:39 - Four Core iPhone With Firmware 3.0?2009-01-08 17:39:26 - Refurbished iPhone 3G Now Available at Best Buy2009-01-08 16:27:52 - Pixaria Software updates PopCard.me2009-01-08 15:56:58 - Disk Doctor Labs Launches Data Recovery Software[more] [rss]