- 1. Japans Technical Cooperation in Statistics Takehiro Fukui Statistics Bureau Japan Statistics Bureau JAPAN
2. - Technical Cooperation with NBSC Exchange of missions Providing statistical training Dispatch of statistical experts - Japans Technical Cooperation in Asian Region Bilateral cooperation Multilateral cooperation- Major cooperation activities in the ESCAP region - Comments on theTechnicalCooperation - Concluding remarks Statistics Bureau JAPAN 3. Technical Cooperation with NBSC
- Exchange missions has been done every year since 1980.
- More general fields such as
- sample household surveys,
- the establishment census,
- international comparison,
Statistics Bureau JAPAN 4. Technical Cooperation with NBSC
- Providing statistical training
- Since 1986, several statistical officials from China have been invited every year to participate in courses at the Statistical Research and Training Institute.
- UntilApril2003,69trainees have been graduated from the Statistical Training Institute, who have knowledge in Japanese.
- New arrangement of training program for statistical professionals tailored for Chinese statistical experts will be scheduled this autumn.
Statistics Bureau JAPAN 5. Technical Cooperation with NBSC
- Dispatch of statistical experts
- In early 1980's, SBJ dispatched experts in specific fields to China three times to give lectures to the NBSC staff.
- The lectures covered the following subjects:
- - Statistical Data Processing.
Statistics Bureau JAPAN 6.
- The Bureau provided technical assistance to Indonesia,Sri Lanka, Philippines and Myanmarunder the cooperation scheme of the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
- Bilateral cooperation includes regular exchange of statistical missions: with the national statistical offices of China and Korea since 1980.
Japans Technical Cooperation in Asian Region 7. Japans Technical Cooperation in Asian Region
- The Statistics Bureau has been hostingthe Meeting of the Heads of National Statistical Offices in East Asian Countriesat the interval of two/three years since 1980.
- The aim of this meeting is to exchange views and experiences on censuses and other statistical surveys.
8. Japans Technical CooperationStatistical Training of Staff from the Central Statistical Organization of Myanmar Meeting of the Heads of National Statistical Offices of East Asian CountriesStatistics Bureau JAPAN 9. Major cooperation activities in the ESCAP region
- ANCSDAAP, the Association of National Census and Statistics Directors of America, Asia and the Pacific
- The Meetings of the Heads of National Statistical Offices in East Asian Countries
- The Asian Statistical Forum
10. Comments on the Technical Cooperation A broad range of donors(bilateral, regional and global) The necessity of donor coordinationto avoid the duplication of technical assistance Paris21 is a useful platform for networkingamong donors. Statistics Bureau JAPAN 11. Concluding remarks To collect current good practices for technical cooperation. Appropriate practices would cover not only the technical and procedural aspectsbut also the management ones.
- To assemblerecommended current good practices for reducing census costs and to share each NSO.
Statistics Bureau JAPAN 12. Thank you