Labour Migation in the Lao PDR. Presentation Overview. The Migration Situation in Lao PDR Human Trafficking in Lao PDR Mechanisms and Structure Regional and International Cooperation and Development of Legislation Counter-Trafficking Strategies. 1. The Migration Situation in Lao PDR. - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Labour Migation in the Lao PDR
Presentation OverviewThe Migration Situation in Lao PDRHuman Trafficking in Lao PDRMechanisms and Structure Regional and International Cooperation and Development of LegislationCounter-Trafficking Strategies
1. The Migration Situation in Lao PDRLao PDR is located in the GMS region and shares borders with five countries.The country has an open- market economy in the globalized era.The socio- economic sector in Lao PDR is developing.Regional economic disparities push people to look for better livelihood opportunities.
1. The Migration Situation in Lao PDRLao PDR shares a long border with Thailand .The two countries also have similar languages and cultures.There is a lack of information concerning legal migration channels.In the past few years, there were more than 200,000 Lao people working illegally in Thailand. This number includes more than 100,000 women .There are 8,764 of the Lao working in Thailand obtained employment through a recruitment agency.60,000 are working with a work permit14,000 are working without a work permit
2. The human Trafficking Situation in Lao PDRThere is a high risk of human trafficking due to high levels of migration.In the peried 2002-2009 there were 1332 people repatriated to Lao PDR from Thailand through the human trafficking MOU.
3. Mechanisms and Structure In 2004 Lao PDR has signed MOU on human trafficking with GMS countriesIn 2004 Lao PDR established the NSC on HT and its SecretariatIn 2005 the Lao PDR has signed MOU on Human Trafficking with ThailandIn 2002 the Lao PDR has signed MOU on labour migration with Thailand
4. Regional and International Cooperation and Development of LegislationIn 1985 ( CEDAW) In 1991 ( CRC ) In 2003 ratified the Convention on Transnational Organized Crime.In 2005 ratified ILO Convention , 138 and 182 Lao PDR is a member of the COMMIT MOU.We cooperate with a wide range of UN agencies, NGOs and inter- governmental organizations.
5. Counter- Trafficking StrategiesLao PDR is implementing a poverty alleviation strategy which aims to eliminate poverty by 2020.The Lao PDR is strengthening the implementation of the Lao Thai MOU on labour migrationThe Lao PDR will be implementing the CSECThe Lao government is in the process of approving the NPA on Human Trafficking ( 2007 2002 ).