Who Prepared the Feast? Women Disciples Prepare the Passover in Mark 14:12-17
Who Prepared the Feast? Women Disciples Prepare the Passover in Mark 14:12-17Karen Fitz La Barge,Executive Director: WITNESSwww.WITNESSchange.org
12) And on the first day of the Unleavened feast, when they killed the Passover (lamb), his disciples said to him, Where do you wish that we should go prepare, in order that you can eat the Passover?13) And he sent out two of his disciples and said to them, Go into the city and a man carrying a pitcher of water will meet you. Follow him, wherever he may go in.14) Say to the master of the house, The teacher says, Where is my guestroom, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?15) And he will show you a large, already furnished upper room, there prepare for us.16) And the disciples went out and came into the city and found it even as he had said to them, and they prepared the Passover.17) And when it was evening, he came with The Twelve.
The ten occurrences of Twelve / The Twelve in Markand the doubtful occurrence in 3:16
Mark 3:14 And he appointed twelve, to be with him, and to be sent out to preach Mark 3:16--doubtful occurrence-- So he appointed the twelve: Simon (to whom he gave the name Peter)Mark 4:10 And when he was alone, those who were about him with the twelve asked him concerning the parables. Mark 6:7 And he called to him the twelve, and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. Mark 9:35 And he sat down and called the twelve; and he said to them, "If any one would be first he must be last of all and servant of all." Mark 10:32 And they were on the road, going up to Jerusalem, and Jesus was walking ahead of them; and they were amazed, and those who followed were afraid. And taking the twelve again, he began to tell them what was to happen to him, Mark 11:11 And he entered Jerusalem, and went into the temple; and when he had looked round at everything, as it was already late, he went out to Bethany with the twelve. Mark 14:10 Then Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve, went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. Mark 14:17 And when it was evening he came with the twelve. Mark 14:20 He said to them, "It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the dish with me. Mark 14:43 And immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas came, one of the twelve, and with him a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests and the scribes and the elders.
The Mark and Matthean Twelve vs Luke / Acts Twelve
Matthew 10:1 And he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity.
Matthew 11:1 And when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in their cities.
Matthew 20:17 And as Jesus was going up to Jerusalem, he took the twelve disciples aside, and on the way he said to them,
Matthew 26:20--doubtful occurrence When it was evening, he sat at table with the twelve (disciples); The three occurrences of Twelve Disciples in the four Gospels, and the doubtful fourth occurrence used in Matt. 26:20
There were also women looking on from a distance; among them were Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. These used to follow him and provided (diakoneo) for him when he was in Galilee; and there were many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem.Mark 15:40
Mark 1:31 Simon Peters Mother in Law serves them.Mark 7:24 Syrophoenician Woman proves she is knowledgeable about feeding children AND dogs.Mark 11:11-14 Jesus is off alone with The Twelve and is described as being Hungry.Luke 10:38-41 Martha of Bethany is busy with tasks. Probably dinner preparations as in John 12:2.John 4 Samaritan Woman at the Well whom Jesus asks for drink.John 2 Jesus Mother takes the initiative to get the wedding guests more wine.
Synoptic Examples of Womens Association with Food and Drink
The Passover in the Holy Family: Gathering Bitter Herbs. Dante Gabriel Rossetti. 1855-56. Watercolor. 16 x 17 in. Tate Gallery. London
Baking Matsah. Venice, 1609 www.rigal.freeserve.co.uk/passover/pesach.htm
Boiling Pots and Dishes for Pesach. Holland. 1657Boiling Pots for Passover Preparations. Venice. 1609Preparation Images from www.rigal.freeserve.co.uk/passover/pesach.htm
This Pericope in Matthew 26:17-20
17) On the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where do you want us to make the preparations for you to eat the Passover?"
18) He said, "Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, 'The Teacher says, My time is near; I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.'"
19) So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them, and they prepared the Passover meal.
20) When it was evening, he took his place with the twelve.
7) Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. 8) So Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover meal for us, that we may eat it. 9) They asked him, "Where do you want us to make preparations for it?" 10 Listen, he said to them, "when you have entered the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him into the house he enters, 11) and say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher asks you, Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' 12) He will show you a large room upstairs, already furnished. Make preparations for us there" So they went, and found everything as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover meal. When the hour came, he took his place at the table, and the apostles with him.This Pericope in Luke 22:7-14
The Miraculous Draught of Fishes. Pieter van Aelst. After a cartoon by Raphael Sanzio c. 1519. Tapestry in silk and wool with silver gilt threads.Musei Vaticani. Galleria delle Tappezzerie
Detail of Women DisciplesJean Cocteau Muralin Notre Dame De FranceLeicester Place, London, UK
Sheet1Mark 3:14-19 (who he named apostles questionable)Matthew 10: 2-4Luke 6:12 "whom he named apostles"Acts 1:12Simon PeterSimon PeterSimon PeterPeterJames the son of ZebedeeJames,the son of ZebedeeJamesJamesJohn the Brother of James "Boangerges" Sons of ThunderJohn, the brother of JamesJohnJohnAndrewAndrew, Simon Peter's brotherAndrew Simon's BrotherAndrewPhilipPhilipPhilipPhilipBartholomewBartholomewBartholomewBartholomewMatthewMatthew, the tax collectorMatthewMatthewThomasThomasThomasThomasJames the son of AlphaeusJames the son of AlphaeusJames the son of AlphaeusJames the son of AlphaeusJudas IscariotJudas IscariotJudas IscariotThaddaeusLebbaeus called ThaddaeusSimon the CananaeanSimon the CananaeanSimon the ZealotSimon the ZealotJudas, son of JamesJudas son of James