A Century of Care in the Plymouth Community
1910 ~ 2010
Special thanks to the Marshall County Historical Society and Museum for assistance compiling the historical information in this special anniversary piece.
Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center PlymouthBoard of Directors 2010
Lori Price, President, SJRMC-Plymouth
Michael Eifrid, MD
Francis K. Ellert
Sr. Joan Elizabeth Johnson, CSC
John J. Oliver, Sr.
Josephine Randazzo, DO
Tod Stillson, MD
Sr. Joy OGrady, CSC
What does your community hospital mean to you?One hundred years ago, a tradition of providing Marshall County residents with quality health care began in Plymouth, Indiana .
Inside our walls, our patients, visitors and staff experience happiness, sadness, grief, joy, despair, hope, pain and relief . They hold newborns in their arms, console a family member before surgery, pray for healing and recovery and watch loved ones leave our world .
Here, your nurse might be your neighbor, and our patient could be an old friend . Its a place where memories are made some happy, some sad and all significant .
While the name and location of your hospital has changed over the years, what remain are a dedication to medical advancements, outstanding community support, an ambition to grow and a commitment to increase access to quality health care .
Today, Saint Joseph Regional Medical Center offers a wide range of advanced services, incorporating all of the latest technology and medical knowledge . Its what you might expect from a larger hospital .
Youll also find compassionate, faith-based care delivered by individuals passionate about improving the health of all we serve .
Which is exactly what you expect from us .
Thank you for 100 years of continued community support.
A History of Community Care1910 - 1926The hospital was born in the early 1900s, when Dr . T .A . Borton and Dr . N .B . Aspinall built a three-story facility at 310 North Michigan Street in Plymouth . While the first two floors served as a facility for the treatment of substance abuse, the third story served as a general hospital .
During the same time period, local resident Julia Work, who conducted a home and school for dependent children just north of Plymouth, bought six acres of land across from Centennial Park . She then moved one of the frame cottages from her Childrens Home in Brightside to the new site .
A partnership was quickly formed . In 1914, Aspinall moved his personal equipment into Works cottage on North Michigan Street and opened the Aspinall Sanitarium and Hospital .
In 1921 a concerned group of citizens recognized the community needed more than a hospital in a cottage when it came to healthcare, and they formed the Marshall County Hospital Association . Five years later, the association purchased the small hospital building and land from Work for $11,000 .
1926 - 1941The association immediately made plans for a three-level brick addition to accommodate 20 additional beds . The first floor included nine patient rooms and one six-bed ward, while the second floor included seven private rooms, another six-bed ward and an operating room . The basement housed an emergency ward and storage rooms .
The addition was completed in 1931 and, at that time, it was renamed Parkview Hospital, due its proximity to Centennial Park . To help furnish the rooms, local citizens and organizations were encouraged to donate $250 to sponsor one room .
The community managed to raise $17,000, but by the mid-1930s the Depression made it difficult to continue the construction . In 1935, the City of Plymouth stepped in and issued bonds for the outstanding amount of the addition, with the understanding that the association would pay off the bonds .
During this time, it became obvious that overseeing such a facility was too much for a voluntary association . In 1941 the hospital was donated to the Marshall County Board of Commissioners, with the request that another addition be built .
Timeline: 1875 - 1920
1875 1910 Dr. T.A. Borton and Dr. N.B. Aspinall treat patients with alcohol and drug addictions.
March 1910 Ground is broken for a new sanitarium and hospital at 310 North Michigan Street in Plymouth expected to be complete in September 1910.
December 1911 Dr. Aspinall performs first operation in new hospital.
January 1913 Board of Directors announced that hospital services will cease due to lack of funds
February 1913 Citizens propose to pay to continue hospital services.
December 1913 Plymouth Hospital is forced to cease operating, but sanitarium continues to treat its patients.
Mr. and Mr. John Smiths daughter was the first baby born in the City of Plymouth at Parkview Hospital on January 1, 1936. Before then, babies were born in Marshall County, since the hospital was outside the city limits of Plymouth.
Pilot, January 2, 1936
In the 1960s, the only ambulances around were hearses driven by funeral directors and the Emergency Department at the hospital was in the basement. When an ambulance arrived with a patient, the driver would pull on a cord that turned on a notification light in the hallway upstairs.
1941 - 1982The commissioners renamed the facility the Marshall County Parkview Hospital . But World War II and escalating construction costs delayed any expansion until the 1950s . By that time, the 1914 part of the facility was infested with termites and the hospitals average occupancy was 97 percent, with patients often receiving treatment in the hallways .
A groundbreaking for the million-dollar facility addition was held in March of 1958 . The 1914 wood structure was demolished and 65 beds were added 25 surgical, 20 medical, 18 maternity and two for maximum-security patients . Expansions to the hospital were also made in 1970 and 1976, increasing the bed count to 86 .
May 1914 Sanitarium closes and is put up for sale. Dr. Aspinall moves sanitarium to Mrs. Julia Works residence on North Michigan Street.
October 1914 Dr. Boss and Mr. Garn buy and reopen hospital.
February 1916 Mr. Garn trades sanitarium for farm.
July 1916 New hospital is built under the direction of Dr. Aspinall on North Michigan Street.
December 1916 The Julia E. Work Hospital, a private hospital, is opened by Dr. Aspinall.
1920 The Marshall County Hospital Association is formed as a non-profit organization for the conduct of the hospitals and its expansion.
1920 Dr. Aspinall sells the Julia E. Work Hospital to a not-for-profit group of physicians and businessmen.
1982 - 2000In 1982 the Parkview Hospital faced several challenges that threatened its future . The 74-bed facility was not in compliance with state fire safety standards . The commissioners sought a bond issue from the Marshall County Council for renovation of the facility, but the council declined .
The community and physicians investigated several options . After careful study and lengthy negotiations, the board decided to affiliate with Holy Cross Health System, Inc .
On March 23, 1984, an affiliation ceremony was held, establishing Parkview Hospital as a subsidiary of Saint Josephs Care Group, Inc ., a newly formed parent company that also included Saint Josephs Medical Center in South Bend .
The Care Group assumed operations of Parkview on April 1, 1984, and the hospital assumed a new name: Holy Cross Parkview Hospital .
After studying the long-term needs of the hospital and evaluating the structure, plans were carried out to replace the facility . Although the existing site was considered, that would have meant an extremely long
construction period, greater hospital disruption and more cost than if construction was completed in one phase .
The decision was reached that the new hospital would be located southwest of downtown Plymouth on S .R . 17 . The area had limited potential for industrial pollution and little heavy truck traffic . It was accessible from the lakes and industrial sites, where most accidents occurred .
In addition, a survey by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Plymouth officials showed that more than 65 percent of the areas growth in the next 10 years would be southwest of the city .
More than $1 million was raised by the community to acquire equipment for the new facility, and it was completed in 1986 .
In the next 10 years, construction of new highways made the community more accessible, while the additionof new business to the area increased the communitys work force . The quickened pace of life shifted patient need from inpatient to outpatient care and increased the need for local diagnostic services and specialized care .
Timeline: 1921 - 1958
January 1921 Julia E. Work Hospital is rented by the Marshall County Hospital Association and operated as a public entity.
September 1922 Mr. and Mrs. Grove buy the sanitarium to renovate it into a hotel.
February 1926 The Marshall County Hospital Association buys hospital from Julia Work for $11,000. A contest is held to rename the facility and Parkview Hospital is selected.
July 1929 New addition is constructed.
1931 Three-level brick addition including 20 additional beds is completed.
In 1930, the Marshall County Hospital installed an automatic electric passenger elevatorso that patients could use the elevator instead of being carried up and down the stairs.
Pilot, October 24, 1930
Holy Cross Parkviews affiliation with Saint Josephs Care Group gave the facility great acces