Text of Presentation on Herding the Cats in the Commonwealth Games Bid
1. GOLD COAST 2018 COMMONWEALTH GAMES BID HERDING THE CATS
2. HERDING THE CATS 1. Statistics and Benefits 2. Tendering/Project Management - People Management and Stakeholder Engagement 3. Inspirational Moments The bid was a successful $2 billion operational, commercial, financial and infrastructure master plan to deliver the Games in 2018.
3. HERDING THE CATS Statistics and Benefits (est.) 6,500 athletes 3,000 media 17 sports incorporating para sport programs 15,000 volunteeers $2 billion budget 1,000 workforce and up to 30,000 contractors 71 nations 1.5 billion cummulative global television audience (Channel Seven Australian rights holder) 1.5 million tickets will be available
4. HERDING THE CATS Statistics and Benefits (est.) 11 days of competition from 4 April to 15 April Estimated economic impact of $2 billion Estimated creation of 30,000 FTE jobs up to and during the Games Development and upgrading of key infrastructure and diversification of the economy ($320 million) Inspiring people to be more active in sport and the community
5. HERDING THE CATS Statistics and Benefits (est.) International exposure for tourism, trade and investment, global recognition, ability to deliver Health and Knowledge Precinct Moment in time!!
6. HERDING THE CATS Commercial Project Management Six principles of project management - Why? (context/ambition/reasons) - How? (Objectives/Strategy/Stakeholders) - What? (Outputs/Benefits/Activities) - Within? (Threats/Opportunities/Constraints) - Who? (Governance) - With? (Resources) Delivery and budget is a given People management and stakeholder engagement Balance between supportive and encouraging versus bullish and demanding
7. HERDING THE CATS Commercial Project Management At one level, having the stand back view of the big picture and at the lower level, breaking the project plan down into digestible bite sized chunks Bid Book Preparation and Communication Strategy Stakeholders included - the CEO and the Board - the staff and extended Games Bid family - the three levels of Government primarily the State Government who were guaranteeing the budget
8. HERDING THE CATS Commercial Project Management - the Commonwealth Games Federation - the 71 Commonwealth Games member nations - 17 sporting associations national and international - 40 odd Government departments and agencies - the Gold Coast local community - engaged corporates and industry bodies
9. HERDING THE CATS Inspiring Moments Nicholas Kawakya (2.10.01) and Kip Keino Cricket Equipment for Tuvalu Ice Cream for the South Pacific Islanders