Friday, April 5, 2013 ECT B5
ALEX BROWNINDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT SUPPLY & CONSULTING
101074711 SASK. LTD.
Alex BrownCell: 306.873.1415
Home: 306.873.4156Fax: 306.873.4162
Box 401Tisdale, SKS0E 1T0
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE RM OF LEROY!
Kevin PhillipsMLA - Melfort
(306) 752-9500PO Box 2800
Melfort, SK S0E 1A0kphillips@mla.legassembly.sk.ca
Donna HarpauerMLA - Humboldt(306) 682-5141PO Box 2950Humboldt, SK S0K 2A0Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations on the 100th Anniversaryof theR.M. of LeRoy!
Congratulationsfrom Denis and Staff
BULLETSBAR & GRILL
LEROY HOTEL 306-286-3271
MIDWAY CO-OP LTD.SERVING THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES with cardlock, Keylock, food, lotto, hardware and much more.Admin - 306-286-3202LeRoy Food Store - 306-286-3341LeRoy Bulk & Agro Centre - 306-286-3239Petro - 306-287-7702 / 306-286-3221Watson Food Store - 306-287-3523Watson C-Store / Cardlock - 306-287-3585
Congratulations RM of LeRoy
Town of LeRoyBox 40, LeRoy, SK S0K 2P0
Congratulationto the RM of LeRoy
306-287-3999Junction 5 & 6Watson, SK
Congratulations on100 years
JJ STITCH CONGRATULATES THE
RM of LeRoy ON 100 YEARS!
1/2 Mile North, Hwy #6, Watson Open Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 4:30pmP:306.287.3827 email@example.com F:306.287.3817
JJSNorthern Mat & Bridge would like to wish the community of LeRoy a
Driver Licenses/Vehicle Registrations
Extended Vehicle Insurance
Rental InsuranceFarm Insurance
Business InsuranceTravel Insurance
LeRoy, SK | 306-286-3233www.westernfinancialgroup.ca
A big congratulations to the RM of LeRoy!
(L-R) Back Row: Heather Block, Whitney Block, Chris Block, Derra Froess Sitting: Crystal Dauvin, Brandy Woolsey
Missing: Dalyn Graf, Ervin McGrath
BUCKS BAR & GRILLSt. Gregor, Sask 306-366-2225
CONGRATULATIONSRM OF LEROY
100 YEARS!from Blaine & BerniceD&B Zentner Farms
Congratulations to the RM of LeRoy!
For all your Renovations & Building Needs
* Agricultural, commercialand residential
real estate appraisal *www.precisionappraisal.ca
Congratulations RM of LeRoy
RM of LeRoyRalphs
Diesel RepaiRst. GReGoR, sask.
606 - 9th Street 306-682-28218:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday
Congratulations on 100 years!
Phone: 306.569.29881834 McAra Street | Regina, SK | S4N 6C4
Congratulations on 100 yearsof success RM of LeRoy!
2Ms Pizza & RestaurantLeRoy, SK 306-286-1212
We are proud to be a part of this great
Congratulationson reaching 100 years!
Box 807, Watson, SK S0K 4V0Tel: 306-287-3627 Fax: 306-287-3378
CongratulationsrM of leroy
Proud to be a part of LeRoys
LeRoy, Sask. 306-286-3553
BOX 1868HUMBOLDT, SK
S0K 2A0IF NO ANSWER CALL 306-682-2361 or 306-231-7767
Congratulates the RM of LeRoy on 100 Years!
RM of LeRoy
100S I Woodworking
Custom Cabinets and Furniture
200 Hwy 6 SouthWatson, SK
RM of LeRoy
Once upon a time, it was just land. The land that makes up the RM of LeRoy
was, before 1900, another area of the province inhabited by First Nations people.
Then in 1883, the land was first surveyed by the British crown into one-mile-square sections, and each section was further divided into 16 legal subdivisions of 40 acres each.
The land was sitting here, waiting for home-steaders, who began arriving in 1903 to obtain the free land in this area.
Not knowing all the regulations to follow, most early settlers just picked a parcel of land and squatted. When the homesteader found out that he had to file a claim, he would travel to the Land Titles Office and file on whatever piece of land he wanted, providing it was uninhabited and unclaimed, writes Delwyn J. Jansen in the RM of LeRoy history.
Homesteaders had three years to prove up a claim building a habitable home, clearing land and cultivating at least 30 acres of land. After some more hoops to jump through, the land was theirs.
While settlers to the area arrived in 1903, local government did not get its start until 1909, when voters elected councillors to a Local Improve-ment District. Local matters were attended to at each meeting of this council. For instance, at a
March 22, 1910 meeting, a bounty of $2 was set for the killing of prairie wolves.
The first meeting of the RM No. 339 was held January 6, 1913. At that point, it was called the RM of Roach, a name that was changed to the RM of Ayr the next year.
In December 1920, the reeve found a place in the new town to hold council meetings. The first meeting was held in the hamlet of Bogend (the new town) in January 1921. A meeting in March of the same year refers to Bogend as LeRoy. For a year or two, the Hamlet of LeRoy was administered by the RM.
In October 1930, the name of the RM was officially changed to the RM of LeRoy No. 339.
During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the RM, like everyone, was hit with hard times. It was decided in 1931 that all road work was to be done by ratepayers, with the amount of work done applied on their taxes.
The RM was in charge of relief for its residents in those early years, handing out seed and fod-der relief while they were forced to reduce sala-ries to the reeve, councillor, secretary-treasurer, doctor and legal advisor.
The RM was notified in May of 1940 that no further relief was to be given by the municipality.
During the early 1940s, the war years, the RM got a new office building with a vault. No sooner
had they moved in than in July 1941, they were required to read a Call to Arms proclamation during a break in their meeting to the citizens of the district.
In September 1941, the office got their first desk phone, and a month later, granted the re-quest of the LeRoy Veterans for a soldiers plot in the LeRoy cemetery.
In 1946, the RM was involved in the creation of the LeRoy hospital with the Village of LeRoy. At a cost of $20,000, shared 95 per cent by the RM and five per cent by the Village, three hangars were moved into the village from the wartime airport at Dafoe to form the new hospital. The facility opened July 27, 1947, and was closed in the late 1960s by the provincial government.
As horse and buggy days came to an end in the early 1950s, the work of the RM began to focus more and more on better road conditions.
The RM petitioned the government for an all-weather market road from LeRoy to Hwy. 6, and the improvement began in 1953.
Since then, the RM can boast of many im-proved roads in the area.
The RM of LeRoy had a hand in creating con-servation and development area authorities, and the Lanigan Creek Delwood Brook Watershed Association, formed to give the RM adequate drainage.
They were also involved in the creation of homes for the aged in the area, including Quill Plains Centennial Lodge, and the LeRose Lodge in LeRoy.
No one can accuse the municipality of drag-ging its feet in respect of care for the aged, the history states.
Also with the 1950s came rural electrification, installation of sewer and water services on fam-ily farms, all of which involved the RM.
Social aid then replaced Depression relief. In 1960, the federal government distributed canned meat to the needy through municipal offices, in-cluding the RM of LeRoys. That ended in 1966.
Also in the 1960s, the RM of LeRoy joined the Humboldt and District Fire Protection Area, and the Humboldt and District Emergency Measures Organization, and formed the LeRoy and Dis-trict Fire Department.
It was in July of 1967 that the municipality authorized the use of their flooded gravel pit for swimming lessons. That eventually gave birth to the LeRoy Leisureland Regional Park facilities that still exist today.
In later years, the RM of LeRoy Recreation Board was formed.
The RM moved into new office space in 1988 into a building shared with the LeRoy library branch and the Town of LeRoy office.
In more recent years, the council of the RM has conti