Roy P. Otton, Member CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Call this morning's session of the Seward Peninsula Subsistence

  • View
    0

  • Download
    0

Embed Size (px)

Text of Roy P. Otton, Member CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Call this morning's session of the Seward Peninsula...

  • 1

    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

    16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

    30

    R & R C O U R T R E P O R T E R S

    810 N STREET 1007 WEST THIRD AVENUE

    277-0572 272-7515

    Fax 274-8982

    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501

    SEWARD PENINSULA SUBSISTENCE REGIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL PUBLIC MEETING UNAQLIKMIUT KATIMMASLIK CENTER October 25, 1994 Unalakleet, Alaska COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT: Sheldon I. Katchatag, Chairman Z. William Barr, Vice Chairman Loretta Muktoyuk, Secretary Roy P. Otton, Member Theodore Katcheak, Member

    George H. Lockwood, Member Elmer K. Seetot, Jr., Member Barbara Armstrong, Coordinator

  • 1

    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

    16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

    30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

    44 45 46 47 48 49 50

    R & R C O U R T R E P O R T E R S

    810 N STREET 1007 WEST THIRD AVENUE

    277-0572 272-7515

    Fax 274-8982

    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501

    112

    P R O C E E D I N G S CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Call this morning's session of the Seward Peninsula Subsistence Regional Advisory Council back to order. Madam Secretary, can we have a roll call? MS. MUKTOYUK: Sheldon Katchatag? CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Here. MS. MUKTOYUK: Bill Barr? MR. BARR: Here. MS. MUKTOYUK: George Lockwood?

    MR. LOCKWOOD: Here. MS. MUKTOYUK: Roy Otton? MR. OTTON: Here. MS. MUKTOYUK: Elmer Seetot, Junior? MR. SEETOT: Here. MS. MUKTOYUK: George (sic) Katcheak. I mean, Ted Katcheak?

    MR. KATCHEAK: I'm here. MS. MUKTOYUK: And Loretta Muktoyuk, here. There's a quorum established. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Let the record reflect we have 100% participation. We left off yesterday on the subsistence musk ox management plan and the C and T determination request. And at that time we had information, or we were reassured that we were in the process of getting some information today. Is that the case, Mr. Knauer?

    MR. KNAUER: Sue has some material. MS. DETWILER: Mr. Chairman, the transcripts that we had asked to be sent in from Anchorage didn't come on the plane last night. They might be in this morning on this morning's flight.

  • 1

    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

    16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

    30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

    44 45 46 47 48 49 50

    R & R C O U R T R E P O R T E R S

    810 N STREET 1007 WEST THIRD AVENUE

    277-0572 272-7515

    Fax 274-8982

    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501

    113

    What we did last night was came up with two documents for the Council to review today. One is a letter to the Board, asking the Board to do an interim customary and traditional use determination for musk ox, and asking to expedite the C and T review for musk ox in this area. The other document is a proposal to submit to the Board as part of this year's subpart D process, which is the setting of next year's seasons -- annual seasons and bag limits. It's a proposal to ask the Board to establish a subsistence season for musk ox in this unit. And Gloria is making copies of those two documents right now for the Council to review.

    CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Thank you. Is there any questions or comments from the Council? Hearing none, what is the wish of the Council with regard to the items that have been produced? MR. BARR: Mr. Chairman, I think we can wait for the paperwork, until it gets here, and go on with our agenda. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: I appreciate that, Mr. Barr. I would entertain a motion for the same. MR. BARR: So move, Mr. Chairman.

    MR. OTTON: Second. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: We have a motion and a second on the floor to deal with these issues at such time that we have the paperwork before us. All those in favor signify by saying aye? IN UNISON: Aye. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: All those opposed, nay? (No opposing responses) CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: The motion carries.

    Now move on to new business. Item nine. Under 9.A, Council information exchange. Under Council information exchange, I'm not sure exactly what that particular entry is in regards to, and I'll defer to the coordinator on that. Barb?

  • 1

    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

    16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

    30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

    44 45 46 47 48 49 50

    R & R C O U R T R E P O R T E R S

    810 N STREET 1007 WEST THIRD AVENUE

    277-0572 272-7515

    Fax 274-8982

    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501

    114

    MS. ARMSTRONG: Yeah. That was put in for each Council

    to voice any concerns that their community has, in their home town. Or in their area or their region. Just when the -- to get some information on any issues that are being expressed in their area. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Thank you, Barb. I think this is a new wrinkle in our Council procedure, and I think it's a welcome one. I'd like to start off with Loretta Muktoyuk as the lone female on our Council, out of deference for her, I'll open the floor for her. Loretta? MS. MUKTOYUK: Well, for Nome this summer we had an incident with a polar bear that was sighted near the Nuke area, that's about 13 miles from the city limits, and people were

    complaining to U.S. Fish and Wildlife and to Fish and Game about the polar bear possibly harming their people that were camping at their camp site, and both U.S. Fish and Wildlife and Fish and Game did not do anything until the polar bear got to the city limits, and they had no choice but to destroy it. And the Native people in Nome were pretty upset of the way it was handled by U.S. Fish and Wildlife and Fish and Game and by the police department. It should have been handled better, because they were complaining about it for a couple days. And then the other concern that is always being brought up is the brown bear population in Nome area. It has been increasing for the past couple years, and the bears have been intruding in our camp sites, and they usually would take the

    fish that are drying on the rack, or meat that is drying on the racks. And I think there's something somebody needs to start doing something about before somebody gets hurt. That's all I have. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Thank you, Loretta. Was there any requests on the part of anyone for action by the Seward Peninsula Subsistence Regional Advisory Council on either of these two matters? MS. MUKTOYUK: Roy will give you more information on that, because they had the meeting in Nome .....

    MR. OTTON: Yeah, we ..... MS. MUKTOYUK: ..... this summer. MR. OTTON: About a month ago we had a subsistence resource committee meeting, and we had John Cody, who is the

  • 1

    2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

    16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

    30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

    44 45 46 47 48 49 50

    R & R C O U R T R E P O R T E R S

    810 N STREET 1007 WEST THIRD AVENUE

    277-0572 272-7515

    Fax 274-8982

    ANCHORAGE, ALASKA 99501

    115

    regional director of Alaska Fish and Game, based out of

    Fairbanks, and we -- the concern of the local Native leaders in Nome at the time stated they were dissatisfied as Loretta just said. And what I believe the U.S. Fish and Wildlife supposedly, and the State Fish and Game were to set up a format to how they would take care of any or all polar bears or brown bears that come within a distance of Nome, and they said there are reported sightings of polar bear up to like seven sightings last winter, so, you know, it's a problem that's not going to go away, but hopefully the U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the Fish and Game will address that issue. And ..... CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: Bill, do you know if there's been a policy of any sort put out by the Fish and Wildlife Service on this, on the problem of either polar bears or brown bears

    wandering within like the urban area of Nome? MR. KNAUER: On the issue of polar bears, I don't know, and on the issue of brown bears, that would be a State matter. CHAIRMAN KATCHATAG: