Embed Size (px)
Do you need meditation rooms in your office?
SOURCE-AJMR ASIAN JOURNAL OF MULTIDIMENSIONAL RESEARCH
VOL.2 ISSUE 3, MARCH 2013, ISSN 2278-4853
* Sanity quotient& work-life balance
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES In India, the rising causes of work – life conflicts among people give an exploring situation. Now, people are suffereing from health problems due to work pressure and other problems. In this study, the major issues concerning Work Life Balance are delved to the executives of IT industry with reference to technopark, Trivandrum. The objectives of the study are as follows:
1. To identify what aspects of work interferes with personal life. 2. To identify the factors that impact work-life balance. 3. To identify policies, practises and programs offered by IT cmpanies with reference to work-life balance. 4. To find out if there are differences across demographics and work-life balance. 5. To identify the factors causing stress in the IT industry and its management among the executives.
HYPOTHESES FOR THE STUDY
a. H0 : There is no significant difference between gender and work related factors interfering personal life of executives in I.T industry. b. H0 : There is no significant difference between gender and job satisfaction among the executives in I.T industry. c. H0 : There is no significant difference between marital status and work related factors interfering personal life among the executives in I.T industry. d. H0 : There is no significant difference between marital status and job satisfaction among the executives in I.T industry. e. H0 : There is no significant difference between level of management and work related factors interfering personal life among the executives in I.T industry. f. H0 : There is no significant difference between level of management and job satisfaction among the executives in I.T industry. g. H0 : Work life balance and stress level of the executives in the IT industry are independent.
5. METHODOLOGY It was an exploratory study for the purpose of looking into work-life balance concerns in case of executives in IT industry, Trivandrum. The study was conducted during the period July - September 2012. SAMPLING TECHNIQUE
The respondents were selected using convenience sampling from IT organisations in Technopark, Trivandrum. SAMPE SIZE
There are more than 3000 IT organizations in India and around more than 250 IT companies located in Kerala. A total of 305 executives from the IT organisationsin Technopark, Trivandrum were surveyed for the study. The sample was drawn from all the three levels of management. The questionnaire was administrated tp 305 IT executives, 219 junior level executives, 27 from the middle level management and 59 from senior level management. TOOLS FOR DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
A self administered questionnaire was adopted to collect data from the respondents. The questionnaires were handed over to 325 respondents, out of which 305 were received. After the data had been collected, it was processed, tabulated using Microsoft Excel. The statistical techniques adopted are mean, standard deviation, Pearson‟s Correlation, Chi-square and ANOVA.
6. NEED OF THE STUDY In the present competitive world, IT organisations are filled with conflicting commitment and responsibilities. This has made work-life balance a challenging issue for the executives in the IT industry. It is the responsibility of an individual to balance work and life. Work-life imbalance is a significant factor leading to overall performance of individuals. If they know how to negotiate the way between thorns and hurdles of work life, success will be the outcome. The study is an attempt to identify the work-life balance with special reference to executives in the IT industry. The study will bring the major challenges encountered in the work-life balance of the executives in IT industry and it attempts to make an effective use of the strategies for exploring their values. 7. FINDINGS
Various statistical analyses were performed to test the different hypotheses. The findings of the study were analyzed and presented using statistical tools like weighted average, Correlation, Chi-Square, ANOVA.
SOCIO- DEMOGRAPHIC PROFILE: A total of 305 executives in the IT industry were included in the study. Out of that, 56.39% were males and 43.61% were female respondents. 84.6% were in the age group of < 30yrs, followed by 10.82% in the age group of 30-40 years. Most of the respondents had bachelor‟s degree in various disciplines. 47.86% were graduates followed by post graduates (37.38%), professional qualification (13.45%) and other qualifications like diplomas, computer courses, etc. The marital status was that 51.80% were single, followed by married (43.61%) and least were in the others category (4.59%). (Table -1).
* Apple, Google, Yahoo, McKinsey, Hughes Aircraft, IBM, Cisco and Raytheon.-In our hyper-paced world, the most important thing we can do for our well-being is to stop. Just stop. Be silent. Reflect. And record.So, the next time you feel demotivated, low on energy or even extremely stressed, don’t worry, simply get your spiritual levels checked!
*Apart from regular seminars and self-help programs, * other spiritual practices that can be increasingly visible
in companies include meditation; * centering exercises such as deep breathing to reduce
stress; * visioning exercises; * building shared values; * active, * deep listening; *making action and intention congruent; * using intuition and inner guidance in decision-making.
Best firms to work for!
I remain engaged in my job for more than 10 hrs per day,
2.7 0.7719 I have to perform many roles in a given time.
3 1.4974 My family life seldom suffers due to my job.
As I am burdened with job & family role, I find it difficult to attend social activities.
I am too fatigued to look after my job due to my work load in the family.
Due to excessive workload & lack of time, I am not able to give proper attention to my personal as well as professional life.
Due to the job and family issues & lack of time, I find it difficult to take care of my health.
Employees work life trend analysis-
The role conflicts in the professional and family life give me a lot of stress.
I find it difficult to manage my job & dependent care issues at home simultaneously.
I feel angry with my employees and family members as I am not able to balance my work and family issues.
Due to the job, I find it difficult to spend the evenings and weekends with my family.
10. SUGGESTIONS AND SCOPE FOR FUTURE RESEARCH Work Life Balance is a significant factor leading to overall performance of the executives. If an individual have both physical and emotional signs of unhealthy work life balance, they cannot easily recognise the reason for that, but it is important to know what they are. Work life balance is a fit between work and personal lives. It implies that the individuals have to make efforts to maintain aHealthy sanity quotient for themselves as well as peer group.