Seven Spiritual Laws of Life
Guided solo or group meditations for any instruments or voices and fixed media.
© 2013 by Twisted Trail Music
Duration ca. 25’
Seven Spiritual Laws of Life
for JoDee Davis
As I reached middle life, I discovered there is another way of living than the one I had been taught by late 20th-Century Western society: one that
allows, rather than restricts. It requires a focus on what I want, rather than what I don’t want, and is based on abundance, not limitation: it
creates, rather than destroys. I learned this way partly through reading other people’s accounts (Deepak Chopra’s 7 Spiritual Laws of Success, and
the 7 Hermetic Principles to name a few), but also by watching the forest go through its annual cycles. Through intellectual understanding and
mysterious experiences, both of which led me into the architecture explored here, I have found that practicing these principles radically changed my
life. While these laws are constant, my experience of them is not… so I offer them here for contemplation in performance and sound. The performer
is encouraged to interact with each “law” sonically, by listening to a fixed media (the “laws”), and responding from their own heart, mind, emotion,
body and spirit. Listening inwardly and outwardly becomes the most important aspect of performing the Seven Spiritual Laws of Life.
1. Anything is possible in a Universe full of unlimited potential (Start timings, 0:00-may be longer: adjust subsequent timings accordingly)
2. Giving is receiving and both express an exchange of energy that creates flow (2:00)
3. Energy given returns in like fashion (5:49)
4. Nature’s wisdom illustrates following the path of least resistance (9:53)
5. Inherent in every intention and desire are the mechanics of its fulfillment (13:43)
6. Observing without judgment is the highest form of freedom (17:20)
7. Everything has its own purpose, and everyone, their own unique path on which they travel at their own speed toward this purpose (20:40)
I am indebted to the many wise teachers I have had on this journey, for
helping me see and experience these things in everyday life, and to JoDee
Davis for her trombone sounds!
Cover photo by John Hess (altered by the composer)
• To be performed without pause.
• Use mutes and extended techniques freely
• Trust your ear and your intuition
• If something is uncomfortable, sit with, even try it again, making
adjustments as needed-to move through it
• Be present!
• For any solo or combination of instruments
• Start fixed media on cue of performer (there is 2’ of silence at the
1) Anything is possible in a Universe full of unlimited potential
Knowing is a barrier to learning and unknown assumptions are creativity killers. Probabilities are limitations so play at will in the field of
possibilities! Learn something new each time you play, and always play something differently than before. Take chances without regard to
outcomes, and play each moment as if it were on purpose! Honor the process and the product will take care of itself. Ask: what do I want in this
field of unlimited potential? Without fixed media…
• Ground on F…from there anything is possible.
• Play ideas with, or contrary to the fixed media?
• Follow your heart, mind, body soul, and every whim
• Agree/disagree…make statements/ask questions…
• Just be!
• Leave some space?
2) Giving is receiving and both express an exchange of energy that creates flow
One can only give what one has. Trees shed uncountable leaves each year, giving to the soil, which in return nurtures the tree. The circle of life
exists, not just for any singular gain, but because life is unstoppable as it ebbs and flows in a great balance sheet of creative reciprocity. As above,
3) Energy given returns in like fashion
What goes around comes around, or act towards others as we would like others to act towards us. The 3rd dimension is based on this oscillation-an
invisible expression of sound in form. Balance between opposites. Polarities such as masculine/feminine and light/dark are the foundation of
physical existence. The golden rule is only golden when applied to everything and everyone. Ours is an opportunity to be the change we want to see
in the world.
4) Nature’s wisdom illustrates following the path of least resistance
Trees slowly lift boulders with effortless ease. A river cannot be pushed, but rather wanders where it desires. It is not addicted to struggle, and will
always flow along the easiest path. Through patience, it will carve grand canyons and dissolve stones. It knows that what it resists, persists, so it
goes around… but it also knows it has more patience than any other thing, and that patience determines it eventual course.
5) Inherent in every intention and desire are the mechanics of its fulfillment
Stuck energy leads to stagnation and putrification, while moving energy keeps life flowing. Explore moving energy: Fly, soar, run, jump, play,
scoop, slide, wiggle, noodle, fall and defy gravity!
6) Observing without judgment is the highest form of freedom
Things are not good or bad. Judgment is the most constricting aspect of bondage. It mocks potential, and suffocates growth and creative
imagination… Surrendering to the moment, and accepting what is creates freedom from within. Actions become grounded in what we seek, and
the field of full potential opens before us.
7) Everything has its own purpose, and everyone, their own unique path on which they
travel at their own speed toward this purpose
Each of us has a unique and Divine purpose. The leaf does not question who it is or why it is here, but simply follows its life’s path. All paths
lead down the trail towards one’s pre-designed purpose. All Spiritual Laws of Life serve to guide each unique voyage through physical
manifestation and the realization that we are already perfect. Honor your path and your voice.