Sunday, October 25th. Vocations and God’s call. Announcements. Thanks for helping with Make-A-Difference Day! Halloween party!! Sign up today. Costumes are encouraged. But MUST be modest. I am serious. Parents meeting on Nov 8 th . Your parents need to be here. We will be discussing: - PowerPoint PPT Presentation
Text of Sunday, October 25th
Sunday, October 25thVocations and God’s call
Announcements• Thanks for helping with Make-A-Difference
Day!• Halloween party!! Sign up today.
– Costumes are encouraged. But MUST be modest. I am serious.
• Parents meeting on Nov 8th. Your parents need to be here. We will be discussing:– Ski Trip– Mission trip summer 2010
Have you ever heard this before?
• What do you want to be when you grow up?
• What is Free Will?
• If you love somebody do you force them to love you back?
• Free Will is a gift from our Tremendous Lover.
• Deuteronomy 30:19
• What is a vocation?– Not simply a job.– It’s your calling. What God wants.
Unique to You• God has a unique
and perfect plan for you– Perfect doesn’t
mean easy.– Remember,
Holiness is in the plan for all of us.
Universal Holiness• The foundational call from God is not
to a particular vocation, job, career, or way of life, but to universal holiness and communion with Him.
• This is the basis of all happiness.
But wait a second• Sometimes your job and your
vocation go together.– Provide for your family financially.– Doing your job well is living out your
• So Careers are important.– But sacrificing what's most important for
the sake of your career is never ok.• Hebrews 13:5
Who you are not• Is a person defined by where they
• Then what is a person defined by?
So what now?• Just wait for God to call?
TRUST1 Peter 5:7
Prayer• Very very necessary• Building our relationship with God.
“Feel often during the day the need for prayer and pray. Prayer opens the heart, till it is capable of containing God himself. Ask and seek and your heart will be big enough to receive Him and keep Him as Your Own.”
Discernment• We are figuring out what God wants
us to do with our lives.
• John 15:16
• Remember, we are free to chose to follow God’s plan.
Trust and Prayer
Quote of the day
“It is therefore indispensable for each one to seek and to recognize day after day the long path on which the Lord is leading him to his personal encounter with him. Dear friends, question yourselves seriously about your vocation and be ready to answer the Lord who is calling you to take the place he has prepared for your from eternity.”
Who said it?
John Paul II
World Youth Day XIII Address, no.8
• Holy Orders
• Committed Single Live
Marriage• The duty to lead your spouse to
Heaven.• Provide and care for children,
materially and spiritually.
Holy Orders• Bishops, Priests, Nuns, Deacons
• Married to the Church. • The Church is the “Bride of Christ.”
• The call to lead the members of the Church to Heaven.
Committed single life• A very real calling, its not for people
who just couldn’t find the right person to marry.
• Remain single to better serve Jesus and His Church.
• Can provide for the needs of those who have no one to provide for them.
What if we miss the boat?• Is having the right vocation, job, or
career essential for a person’s happiness?
• Surprisingly, NO!
Words to live by• Matthew 5:3-12
• The Beatitudes - Jesus’s only public sermon
Questions• What is your dream job? Why?• What do the words “discernment” and
“vocation” mean to you?• Do you trust God with your future? Why
or why not?• Have you taken the time to think about
what vocation God may be calling you to? How can you continue to discern where God is calling you?
• Is there one vocation that you fear God is calling you to? Why?