1. What do you think is the most dangerous animals in the ocean? 2. What do you know about sharks? 3. What will you do if a shark attacks you?
There are nearly 400 species of sharks, which are divided into 8 orders( ) and 30 families( ). There are lots of differences in sharks.
Basking shark Shark Species Whale sharkGreat white Tiger shark Blue shark
Shark attacks Read the article about shark attacks on page 18 to know more about sharks.
1. How many different types of sharks are there in the ocean? 2. Do all of them attack humans? Nearly 400. No. Only about 30 types are known to have attacked human beings.
3. What is the most dangerous shark? 4. What sharks are also rather dangerous? The great white shark. Two other sharks are also rather dangerous: the tiger shark and the bull shark.
The three types of shark attacks: In the main type, the shark attacks you because it mistakes you for a fish, but when it tastes human flesh it decides to give up and swims away.
In the second type, the shark pushes you with its noses to find out if you are fit to be eaten and then bites you if it thinks you are. In the third type, the shark waits for you to swim by and attacks you suddenly.
To reduce the risk of a shark attack: Do not swim in the dark. Do not go swimming in the ocean if you have a fresh wound. Do not wear bright clothing or jewellery. Stay in groups.
Advices to follow if a shark attacks you Keep calm. Do not panic. Hit the shark on the nose with your fist Stick your finger in the sharks eye
Read the second article The wonderful world of pigeons and answer. 1. What does the article begin with? It begins with a story. 2. What is the story about? It is about what an officer did when his army was attacked by the enemy.
3. Why does the writer begin with this story in his article? To arouse readers interest./ To introduce a wonderful animal pigeons.
4. How do pigeons find their way? Pigeons appear to have a compass inside them that tells them which way is north, they also appear to use their sight and even their sense of smell to tell them which way they should go.
Read the last two paragraphs again and find the main idea for each paragraph. Paragraph 5: Pigeons have the sense of direction, so their greatest use is to carry the news, the mail or messages. In wars, they were able to save the lives and help win.
Paragraph 6: The reason why pigeons never get lost is that not only they have a compass inside but they use their senses of sight and smell as well.
What other animals whose unique senses enable them to survive their environments do you know?
Dogs and rabbits have highly developed senses of smell and touch. A spiders unique sense is sight. Butterflies and bees have taste receptors on their feet.
Lions have very good noses, which are sensitive to smell. Cats have a well developed sense of touch. Mice and elephants have good hearing. Eagles eyesight is four times as sharp as that of a person with perfect vision.
1. Contrary to what many people might assume, evidence shows that sharks seldom attack humans. contrary adj. n.
contrary to sth. e.g. Contrary to popular belief, many cats dislike milk.
In the end the contrary was proved true: he was innocent and she was guilty. :
2. Dont be frightened by sharks as you are 30 times more likely to be hit by lightning than be attacked by a shark. likely adj. e.g. Tickets are likely to be expensive.
A + + + + than + B A + + + as + + + as + B A + + + + of + B
3. Unlike human, they never get lost and can always find their way home. unlike prep. e.g. Unlike most systems, this one is very easy to install.
1. In the main type, the shark attacks you because it mistakes you for a fish, but when it tastes human flesh it decides to give up and swims away.
but because when mistake for
e.g. You must be mistaking me for my younger sister. taste ( ) e.g. She could taste tomato in the soup.
2. In the second type, the shark pushes you with its noses to find out if you are fit to be eaten and then bites you if it thinks you are. if find out if if it thinks you are fit to be eaten.
3. Though it may seem hard to believe, the bird the officer uses is the same bird often seen in public parks the pigeon.
though it the officer uses the bird often seen in public parks the same bird
4. Pigeons appear to have a compass inside them that tells them which way is north. that compass tell which
appear seem e.g. Mary appears to be hesitating about this matter.
Producing a TV show about how the animal uses its senses. Introducing the project
Planning Get into groups(6-8). Decide which animal to focus on. Clear assignments. You can look the questions on page 19 and assign task to each group member.
Search information about the animal from books, Internet or by visiting a zoo, watching an animal documentary. Focus your research on how the animal you choose uses its senses. Preparing
Producing Decide what information will be used in your TV show. Pictures should be presented in an easy- to-see way because TV is very visual. Each member must work on a different part of the show, keeping in mind the overall design.
Every member has to proofread the writing at least once, correct mistakes if there are any, and add any new ideas they can think of.
Presenting Present your show to the class. Answer any questions other group might ask.
Complete the sentences according to the initials. 1. Do you think pleasant smells can r______ pain? 2. Thank you very much. My success is closely r______ to your help. educe elated
3. Jim stayed up very late to play computer games yesterday. Now he is too s_____ to keep his eyes open. 4. My head a_____ means I have a headache. 5. It is very l______ that he will come to the party. He is free tonight. ches ikely leepy
6. I am trying to figure out what blood t_____ my son could have. 7. He is d______ impressed by what you did. 8. I crossed the street to a______ meeting him, but he saw me and ran to me. void ype eeply
Fill in the blanks with the phrases. be linked to make the most of relate to, make progress 1. As a leader, his heart ___________ the hearts of the people. 2. He has ____________ in his English studies. is linked to made progress
3. You must work hard and _______ __________ your chance to study. 4. More studies will be required before we know whether the fact _____________ the result. the most of is related to make
1.Do A, B and C on Page 96 of the Workbook. 2.Review words and phrases in this unit.