CRICOS 00111D TOID 3059
DEVELOPING INTEGRATED LEARNING
CURRICULUM TO ENGAGE LEARNERS
Professor Mike KeppellPro Vice-Chancellor, Learning Transformations
• Enhancing student experience• Ecosystem• Trends and challenges• Guiding pedagogies• Blended learning• Role of educators• Professional development
Pathways and Vocational Education
Work Integrated Learning
• Authentic learning
• Authentic assessment
• Personalised learning
• Peer learning
• …require students to complete complex real-world tasks over a period of time in collaboration with others as they would in a real setting or workplace (Herrington, 2006)
Authentic Assessment• Empowering the learner by
engaging them in assessment tasks that simulate or engage the learner in real-life situations.
• “Engaging and worthy problems or questions of importance, in which students must use knowledge to fashion performances effectively and creatively” (Wiggins, 1993, p. 229).
• Learning pathways • ePortfolios
• The knowledge, skills and attitudes that enable learning and act as a catalyst to empower the learner to continue to learn (Keppell, 2015)
• S t u d e n t s t e a c h i n g a n d learning from each other.
• Sharing ideas, knowledge and experiences
• Emphasises interdependent as opposed to independent learning (Boud, 2001).
• Interactive learning (learner-to-content)
• Networked learning (learner-to-learner; learner-to-teacher)
• Student-generated content (learner-as-designers).
• Connected students (knowledge is in the network)
• Learning-oriented assessment (assessment-as-learning).
Online learning and teaching
On-Campus Learning and Teaching at Swinburne
Teaching Expectations• Compliance with policies and
standards• Practice alignment with the
Learning and Teaching Strategy
• Capabilities and behaviours at different levels of appointment
• Professional development and scholarship
• Compulsory Units:• Nature of Learning and
Teaching (recommended first unit) EDU60001
• Curriculum Design and Assessment EDU60003
• Elective Units (two from following): • Digital Learning Environments EDU60002• Scholarly Teaching: to explore, evaluate and
improve EDU60004• Dynamics of Diversity for Inclusive Learning and
Teaching• EDU60005• Design and Delivery for Online Learning
Learning Design Workshops
• Unit design (large first year units, priority units, UIP identified units)
• Majors/Discipline-based learning design
• Course-based Learning design
• Blended learning• Authentic learning• Authentic assessment• Personalised learning• OERs• Mobile learning