23. CULTURErefers to traditions, stylesocial habits, beliefs,language, religion, food.English Culture!Filipino Culture!Yeoman image by Andrew Ga1
25. ThinkWhat do you think are some of thecultural differences between theBernardo and Andi?
26. ThinkDo you know anyone whosculturally different from you? How?
27. ThinkHow do the cultural differencesaffect the relationshipof Bernardo and Andi?
28. ThinkBernardo and Andi grew up indifferent environments.
29. Bernardo grew up inthe Philippines.
30. Andi grew up inLondon.
32. ThinkWhich setting is most likeyour own? Why?
33. ThinkHow does his environmentinfluence Bernardos character?
34. ThinkHow does her environmentinfluence Andis personality?
35. ThinkHow does her environmentinfluence Andis personality?
36. ThinkHow has your environmentinfluenced you?
38. ThinkThe story alternates betweenBernardo and Andis voice.Why is the story told this way?
39. ThinkBoth Andi and Bernardo have verystrong desires. What do each ofthem want and how does the storyshow this?
40. ThinkFilipino legends are woven intoBernardos side of the story. Whatdo the legends explain?
41. ThinkThere are magical elements in thestory. Bernardos wish comes trueand so does Andis. Do you thinkits because of the magic? Why?
42. More Reading
43. Cosmic by Frank Cottrell BoyceHes so tall he manages tofool a dealer into lettinghim test drive a car. But issigning up for a trip toouter space a step too far?Wonder by RJ PalacioHes funny, smart and brave but hes got no face and nowhes got to attend real school.How is he going to cope?The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indianby Sherman AlexieNative American boy dares toleave the reservation to becomethe only Indian in school.Hilarious and sad.
44. I hope you enjoyed this discussion guide.A good book shouldmake you think and I hope Tall Story hasdone just that. Thank you for readingmy book!Candy Gourlay
45. candygourlay.comWith thanks to Sarah McIntyre for the Tall Story cartoonjabberworks.livejournal.com