1. CREATING AN ONLINE TEACHING PORTFOLIO Rafia Mirza
2. GOALS OF TODAYS WORKSHOP Part 1: Create a Wordpress Site Part 2: Modify your site to create a Teaching Portfolio Part 3: Customize your blog Part 3: Embedding Code in your blog Part 5: Delete a Wordpress Site
3. Wordpress example site: https://librarianrafia.wordpress.com/
4. PART 1: CREATE A WORDPRESS SITE
5. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Go to https://wo rdpress.co m/ Click on Create Website For more help, go to Wordpress Support
6. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS This page will ask you to chose a theme The theme on the sample site is Twenty Thirteen
7. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS The Theme on the sample site is Twenty Thirteen
8. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Choose your Domain. (This determines your url) Think about how people will be searching for you, consider using your full name.
9. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Choose the free plan.
10. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Create your account Your username does not have to be the same as your domain name
11. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS You will need to verify your email address
12. PART 2: MODIFY YOUR SITE TO CREATE A TEACHING PORTFOLIO
13. CREATINGATEACHINGPORTFOLIOWITHWORDPRESS Log on Go to the dashboard for your site
14. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Scroll to the bottom Click on Create a Page.
15. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS What do you want to name the page? Add text
16. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Notice how the Title of the page gives you the permalink name
17. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Click Publish
18. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS You can always go back and edit
19. PART 3: CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLOG
20. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS You do not want Nothing Found to be the first thing people see Click on customize
21. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Click on Static Front Page
22. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS Under Static Front Page, choose the page that you want to be your home page. Click Save and Publish
23. GETTINGSTARTEDWITHWORDPRESS My About page is now the first thing people see.
24. ADDINGSOCIALMEDIA You have a few options in regards to adding your social media account You can add a link to your social media account on your about page If you want to highlight a specific item in you social media account, you can look for the embed option If you want to feature your social media account it ins entirety, look for the option of inserting a widget
25. PART 4: EMBEDDING CODE IN YOUR BLOG
26. EMBEDDINGCODE When you are editing a page you can click on the HTML view to add code
27. PART 3: ADD A WIDGET TO YOUR BLOG We will use Twitter as the example
28. WHATISAWIDGET? What is a Widget? In computing, a web widget is a software widget for the web. via How to add a Widget The rules may be different for different platforms We are going to look at adding Twitter Timeline Widget
29. WIDGETS Go to the settings of the social media site that you want a widget from
30. CREATEAWIDGET Create a widget You may have access to some customizat ion options here
31. CREATEAWIDGET Create a widget You may have access to some customizat ion options here
32. TWITTERWIDGETID Get your Twitter widget ID.
33. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS Open your Wordpress blog Click on the Customize option on your Wordpress blog
34. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS We are going to add a widget
35. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS Choose where on your blog to want to add the widget
36. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS Search for the Twitter Widget
37. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS Select the Twitter Widget
38. ADDINGAWIDGETTOWORDPRESS Customize and add your twitter ID#
39. PART 5: DELETE A WORDPRESS SITE
40. DELETINGYOURWORDPRESS Click on settings to customize your visibility or to delete you site (this cannot be undone)
41. Link to Workshop Guide Link to EDGE site This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.