CAIS Best Practices conference - Presenting the ISB 21 Curriculum 2.0 model - the philosophy and design behind www.isb21.wikispaces.com
Text of Curriculum 2.0 - A 21st century literacy curriculum
1. Justin Medved CAIS Best Practices Conference Technology , Teaching and Learning Specialist The York School
5. You have to admire schools ability to resist change. Alan November
6. C ollaborate Com m unicate Speak another language Independently learn Manage information Creative Global Be safe Critical thinker
7. What are the obstacles to a successful embedded I.T. curriculu m?
8. ITs broke.
9. How/w hen do you learn to use technolog y?
10. Ho w/ when do our students learn to use technolog y? When they need it.
11. Our students are Digital Natives. - Mark Prensky
12. Our students are Digital Captives. - Jamie McKenzie
13. The great myth is that these digital natives know more about this new information environment than we do . But heres the reality : they may be experts in entertaining themselves online, but they know almost nothing about educating themselves online . Michael Wesch Professor of Digital Ethnography Kansas State University
15. Why should Technology be differen t?
16. IT should n t be.
17. Good curricular design
18. Good curricular design Enduring Understanding Fro m Understanding by Desig n , Wiggins and McTighe Worth being familiar with Important to know and do
19. What is a successful 21s t Century Learne r?
20. What is a successful 21st Century Learne r? What are the Essential Questions that a 21 st Century Learne r needs to ask?
21. What are the Essential Questions that a 21 st Century Learne r needs to ask?
23. So where are the Technology skill s?
24. It is a real focus of this embedded curriculum, that the skills of using technology become the habits of students and teachers - that technology is called upon when needed the same way a dictionary or pencil has been in the past.
25. This is not something that we teach in the 3r d grade, check it off, and go on. Its not a skill. Its habit. and it needs to be a part of almost every conversation that we have in our classrooms. -David Warlick 2 Cents Worth It needs to be the way schools do business. -Will Richardso n, Learning 2.0 Conferenc e, Shanghai
26. It is our goal in developing an integrated curriculum to ensure that the way students learn with technology agrees with the way they live with technology.
27. Making it happen (aka Dont Skip the Conversations)
28. Effective Learner Effective Global Collaborator Effective Communicator
29. The Essential Questions for a 21st Century Learner How do I find and use information to construct meaning and solve problem s? How do I responsibly use information and communication to positively contribute to my worl d? How do I effectively communicat e?
30. 21 st Century Literacy Essential Questions and Enduring Understandings
33. Our vision of the 21st Century Learner http://isb21.wikispaces.com
34. Images found @ Flickr Creative Commons
Thanks to the following Flickr users for use of their images under