Text of Dear Creatures: Animals Explain their Unique Features
1. Inspired by Creature Features by Steve Jenkins Researched by
the 4th Grade Students
2. As part of our author study, the students read the book
Creature Features: 25 Animals Explain Why They Look The Way They Do
and discovered many unusual animal features. Then, as an extension
activity, each student chose an animal to research. Each child
created a slide to include a picture, a question to the animal
about a unique feature, and had the animal answer the
3. Why do you jump really high? I jump high so I can find the
location of hunting seabirds, and they can show me where to find
the fish. Alexis S.
4. My mouth is so big so I can eat birds and sheep. Andrew
5. Dear Wolverine: Why is Michigans nickname the Wolverine
state? My type of species was once very common there. Daniel
6. WHY IS THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR BODY SO HARD? IT IS HARD FOR
PROTECTION,SO OTHER SEA ANIMALS CANT HURT ME. Dear Dinichthys:
7. Why is your tail so bushy? Its bushy, because it gives me
more balance when I move on trees. Elodie S. Dear Eurasian Pine
8. Potto Henry M. Why do you grasp branches with your hind
legs? I use them for holding on to branches for long periods. Dear
9. Dear great white shark: why can you detect blood so far
away? Its very handy for eating. Im a predator, and its good for me
to eat wounded things so I dont have to waste energy. Chris D
10. Desert jerboa, why are your legs so skinny? My legs are so
skinny so they can jump high to reach food. I can jump up to 10
feet, the equivalent of a human jumping up to 165 feet. By Jonathan
11. Dear naked mole rat: Why dont you have hair? Youre naked! I
dont have hair because I live in the dry grasslands, and it is in a
hot climate. GEORGE M.
12. DEAR PORCUPINE: WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY SPIKES AND MOVE
BACWARDS? I MOVE BACKWARDS BECAUSE I NEED TO SCARE OFF MY
PREDATORS, AND I HAVE MY SPIKES ON MY BACK.
13. Dear Blue Whale Why do you have weird things in your mouth?
Theyre like teeth but theyre baleen, and I use them to strain
little fishes out of the water. Instead of biting, I just swallow
them whole. By Jack C.
14. Actually, Im a male Tree Kangaroo. The colors are to
15. Dear three-toed sloth: why is some of your fur green? I
MOVE SO SLOWLY THAT GREEN MOSS GROWS ON MY FUR, AND IT KEEPS ME
SAFE FROM PREDATORS. NICHOLAS
16. Dear bottlenose dolphin: What do you eat, and how do you
communicate with humans ?
17. Dear Indian Flying Fox, Chase F. Why are your wings so big?
My giant wings, which can be up to four times bigger than my body,
help me glide in the air.
18. DEAR TASMANIAN WOLF: WHY DONT PEOPLE KNOW A LOT ABOUT YOU?
PEOPLE DONT KNOW A LOT ABOUT ME, BECAUSE I WAS EXTINCT BEFORE THEY
COULD STUDY ME. By KATIE S.
19. Dear American pika: why are your cheeks so big? I can carry
a lot of food in my mouth, even plants that are toxic. By: