1. Developing the skills of your VET practitioners a real RTO story Claire Rasmussen Federation University Australia Kerrie-Anne Sommerfeld Rubric Training Solutions
2. Biggest cost to education institutes?
4. Biggest impact on student outcomes?
6. What do great education organisations do differently? Prioritise improving the skills and knowledge of their teaching staff
7. VET teaching/training is an advanced skill VET needs highly skilled dual professionals vocational and teaching/training skills RTOs need a strategic approach to continued professional development The CIV in Training and Assessment is an ENTRY level skill Need greater focus on the continued development of VET teachers VET Teacher/Trainer Skills in Australia
8. Quick quiz Standards for RTOs 2015 How many standards are there? Which standard relates to training and assessment? How many clauses are in this standard? Which clauses relate to the professional development of VET trainers and development?
9. Quick quiz Standards for RTOs 2015 How many standards are there? 8 Which standard relates to training and assessment? 1 How many clauses are in this standard? 27 Which clauses relate to the professional development of VET trainers and development?
10. Standards for RTOs 2015 Trainers and assessors 1.13 1.16 1.13. In addition to the requirements specified in Clause 1.14 and Clause 1.15, the RTOs training and assessment is delivered only by persons who have: a) vocational competencies at least to the level being delivered and assessed; b) current industry skills directly relevant to the training and assessment being provided; and c) current knowledge and skills in vocational training and learning that informs their training and assessment. 1.14. The RTOs training and assessment is delivered only by persons who have: b) from 1 January 2016, the training and assessment qualification specified in Item 1 or Item 2 of Schedule 1. (Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or its successor OR a diploma or higher level qualification in adult education) 1.15. Where a person conducts assessment only, the RTO ensures that the person has: b) from 1 January 2016, Item 1 or Item 2 or Item 3 of Schedule 1. (Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or its successor OR a diploma or higher level qualification in adult education OR TAESS00001 Assessor Skill Set or its successor.)
11. Standards for RTOs 2015 Trainers and assessors Clause 1.16 The RTO ensures that all trainers and assessors undertake professional development in the fields of the knowledge and practice of vocational training, learning and assessment including competency based training and assessment.
12. The Federation University TAFE story The beginning
13. Faculty, school or centre title here Who is Federation University? Image: Students of the Ballarat School of Mines, c1901 [Federation University Australia Historical Collection]. Federation University TAFE
14. Faculty, school or centre title hereFederation University TAFE
15. Faculty, school or centre title here What do we offer? AQF 1-10 80 qualifications on our scope of registration across 8 departments Apprenticeship and non apprenticeship delivery We have approximately 90 Full time teachers and 90 contract sessional teachers (a growing % of the workforce) Federation University TAFE
16. Faculty, school or centre title here What was the catalyst for renewal? 1. New Standards for RTOs 2. A 2013 ASQA strategic audit in Aged Care 3. Preparation for 2015 re-registration audit 4. Minimal and reduced PD budget 5. Need for efficient and strategic approach to build capability of teachers skills 6. Organisational restructure 7. Reconnecting VET teachers to teaching practice Industry Skills CentreFederation University TAFE
17. Faculty, school or centre title here How did we draw attention to the importance?? 1. Documented need for support in undertaking a large scale re- newal project with higher level Senior Educator support 2. Documented quantity of assessment tools to be developed 3. Audited consistency of assessment tools and created a new assessment tool 4. Audited/validated quality of assessments 5. Developed a strategic PD plan to roll out advanced assessment skills using the new FedUni assessment tool templates Industry Skills CentreFederation University TAFE
18. The Federation University TAFE story The implementation
19. Faculty, school or centre title here Implementation The triage approach 1. Immediate urgent one off traditional assessment development workshops facilitated by the VET Development Centre 2. Development of a broader PD program over 26 days from Sept Dec 3. Evaluation of pre and post workshops to document successful outcomes and identified need for ongoing and strategic approach 4. Development of new plan for 2015 with new focus Industry Skills CentreFederation University TAFE
20. Advanced Assessment Skills@ FedUni Program
21. Advanced Assessment Skills@ FedUni Program Aim: To develop the skills, knowledge and confidence of FedUni TAFE teachers in developing quality assessments Outcome: Each lead assessment developer ends up with a set of validated tools for at least one unit (benchmark) Duration: Participants attended 2 sessions (2 days total) Sessions held September November, 2014
22. Advanced Assessment Skills@ FedUni Program Fully customised FedUni policies, templates Targeted staff/areas/ units leadership team support Pre program survey Pre program planning 1 days Small groups (3-10) Attended by FedUni senior educator/s Develop and map assessment tools for 1 unit of competency Session 1 Plan, Develop and Map Assessments 1 day Mixed groups validating each others tools Attended by FedUni senior educator/s FedUni Assessment Validation Report completed Session 2 Validate Assessments Support from senior educators as other assessments developed Improvements to FedUni templates Post program evaluation and report Timelines monitored Post Program follow up 1 3 weeks apart
23. 0.0 10.0 20.0 30.0 40.0 50.0 60.0 70.0 80.0 90.0 100.0 assessments relate to real work tasks Confident in assessment judgements I participate in PD to improve my assesment skills My assessments meet the principles of assessment % Changes in biggest perceived Strengths Pre program post program
24. 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 assessments have clear instructions to assessors assessments have clear and detailed marking guides assessment judgements are reliable I know how to validate assessments assessments have clear instructions to students % Changes in biggest perceived weaknesses Pre program (51) Post program (21)
25. Most positive changes Clearer written instructions for students 100% Better meet the principles of assessment 100% Clearer and more detailed marking guides 96% Feel more confident in ability to develop assessments 96% Know how to validate assessments properly 96% Students will be clearer about what is expected of them 96% Fairer assessments 96% Clearer written instructions to assessors 95%
27. Insights Communicate how the program will help students and teachers (dont focus on auditors and compliance) Assign teachers with the interest and attitude to lead development of assessment tools Have a plan for who is responsible for which units Provide time and timelines for teachers developing assessments Monitor and support teachers developing assessments Make sure your policies/procedures/templates are teacher friendly
28. Learning thats easy is like writing in sand, here today and gone tomorrow.
29. Learning that involves effort but is achievable lasts
30. Learning that is spaced out lasts in the long term
31. Testing learning along the way helps it last
32. Sharing knowledge and skills helps learning
33. Reflecting on what you learn helps long term memory
34. What makes Effective Professional Development? Planned RTO Professional development plan Individual professional development plan Based on a training needs analysis/ capability assessment Clear outcomes Monitored and evaluated Significant and ongoing More than a one off workshop Enough time allowed: face to face/ online/ practice/ follow up Clear outcomes that require effort (not just a fun/easy day out) Support provided to help implement new skills Mentors/coaches in the form of managers, experienced teachers, specialists Teacher network groups to share and reflect on good practice as a follow up Related to teachers work Contextualised to the day to day work of teachers/RTO. Walk away with something immediately useful in their role.
35. The Federation University TAFE story The future
36. Faculty, school or centre title here The Grand Plan We have almost achieved the set target of the development of around 2,500 assessment tools We now need to shift from assessment back to delivery The plan has to have a framework to capture vocational and teaching practice The plan has to have full support of managers so they can mandate attendance and build into staff Performance Review plans The plan needs to have pre-set dates for the whole year for improved attendance and continue the positive shift in cultural attitude Industry Skills CentreFederation University TAFE
37. Faculty, school or centre title here Four domains that each group or cluster four capabilities describing the specialist skills required of VET Practitioners based on the IBSA VET Capability Framework Domain Areas of capability Description Teaching Theory, Design, Facilitat