Embed Size (px)
Primary and secondary successions
- 1. Changes in Ecosystems: . Ecological Succession
- Do all ecosystems stay the same all the time?
- Whatare some things that cause changes to ecosystems?
- Natural and unnatural (Quickly and slowly)
3. Ecological succession
- Series of predictable changes that occur in a community over time. Caused by:
4. Primary Succession
- Begins in a place without any soil
- Starts with the arrival of living things such as lichens that do not need soil to survive, called PIONEER SPECIES.
5. 6. 7. Pioneer species 8. http://www.life.uiuc.edu 9. Primary Succession http://uisstc.georgetown.edu http://www.uncw.edu 10.
- Reaching a maturecommunity can take CENTURIES.
11. Secondary Succession
- Its the series of changes that occur in an area where the ecosystem has been disturbed, but where soil and organisms still exist.
- Succession following a disturbance that destroys a community without destroying the soil
14. 15. 16. 17. Secondary succession
- Unlike primary succession, secondary succession occurs in a place where and ecosystem currently exists.
- And occurs more rapidly than primary succession.
18. http://www.geo.arizona.edu 19. http://www.ux1.eiu.edu 20. References:
- Science explorer Prentice Hall. Environmental Science