This presentation was delivered at the European Conference in E-learning, University of Groningen, 25-26 October 2012 by Anna Gruszczynska and Richard Pountney
1. Digital Futures in TeacherEducation: Exploring OpenApproaches towards DigitalLiteracy Anna Gruszczynska, Guy Merchant Richard Pountney Sheffield Hallam University
2. Research questionsContextThe Open Education Resources (OER) movement (2008-)and the release of content for Higher Education (HE)Key questions What is the relationship between Open Educational Resources and digital literacy within professional development for teachers? What understandings of digital literacy and openness emerge through a reflexive approach in project methodology?
3. Frameworks for digital literacy Engagement with existing frameworks (JISC, 2011) Digital literacy as a continuum between the purely social and the purely technological Move from the singular literacy to the plural literacies to emphasise the sheer diversity of existing accounts (Lankshear and Knobel, 2008). Digital literacies as "the constantly changing practices through which people make traceable meanings using digital technologies" (Gillen and Barton, 2010). Critique of the concept of digital natives (Bennet et al. 2008)
4. DeFT ProjectLocal teachers and pupils, teacher educatorsand teacher educations students involved in: sharing and developing good practice in teaching understanding more about digital literacy developing guidance on Open Academic Practice and Open Educational Resources in the school and university contextProject outputs will be shared via an open textbook (pulling together casestudies and supporting resources) and the "Digital Bloom" installation
5. Locating digital literacies
6. DL investigations: new avenues Methodological approaches: exploring the ways in which understandings around DL are expressed and shared through reflection in action Re-examining DL in the context of the debate around ICT in the curriculum and the removal of the programmes of study Exploring the place of DL and OERs in professional development of teachers
7. Next Steps For more information:Dissemination Project: Project blogOpen Practice in www.deftoer3.wordpress.comInternational Teacher Project websiteEducation (OPITE) www.deft-project.org Twitter @deftoer3 Digital BloomContact: www.digitalbloom.orgAnna Gruszczynska Slidesharea.email@example.com www.slideshare.net/deftoer3Richard Pountney Open Textbookr.firstname.lastname@example.org www.digitalfutures.org (from 1 November 2012)