The UOC (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya) has developed an innovative experiences by launching one of its couses through the Facebook site and by using an open methodology. The experience aims to test an open learning model, understood as a virtual learning environment open to the Internet community, based on the use of open resources and on a methodology focused on the participation and collaboration of users in the construction of knowledge. The subject of the course 'Journeys 2.0' lasted 5 weeks, was launched through Facebook and used a specifically designed open methodology. This methodology of the course is based on the creation of a learning community able to self-manage their learning process. For that a facilitator was needed and also a central activity was established for people to participate and contribute in the community.
- 1. An Open Social Learning Experience
2. Index Motivation The idea and how it grew up What really happenned Evaluation Conclusions More questions The skeleton ! 3. motivation
- New social, educational and technological context
The objectiveTo test anopen learning model , understood as a virtual learning environmentopen to the Internet community , based on the use ofopen resourcesand on a methodology focused on theparticipation and collaborationof users in the construction of knowledge. Motivation 4.
- 2.0minutes of your whole attention
enjoy it!! The video 5. The idea: to do something 'Open' then... Questions, so many questions What environment ? What subject ? What is the methodology ?and the role of the facilitator ? How to organize it ? The Process 6. What environment ? A social network More than 300 millions of users Easy to use Other similar projects Question 1 7. What subject ? Attribution This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered, in terms of what others can do with your works licensed under Attribution. Open contents with CC (A) Travelling is interesting for many people Web 2.0 And it was just after holidays !! :D Viajes 2.0 Question 2 8. What is the methodology ? Objective: We want a learning community able to self-manage their learning process Teacher: Expert, non-teacher Question 3 Activities: The Internet as the global repository Learning activities: foros y blog 9. how long marketing enrolment range certification How to organize it ? 5 weeksThrough facebook and UOC Questionnaireno filtersemail and giftThe Process 10. blogs mss n-p forums Lets go to reality: what happenned?4 Resultsand closing 3 production 2 assimilation 1 Presentation I feel lost 11. Presentation 12. Production 13. 1 .- Quantitative data 2.- Users evaluation (20 users) 3.- Etnographic evaluation Evaluation Catalan edition: 37 users joined 13 participated 8 created a blog 4 blogs 7 discussion frums87 posts in total Spanish edition: 52 users joined14 participated12 created a blog8 blogs9 discussion forums155 posts in total 14. The degree of freedom of this methodology improved my participation I had fun carrying out the learning activities in the course The role of the facilitator is necessary in a course developed through Facebook Users evaluation: some items 15. Self-assess your participation in the non-course Whats your global evaluation of the non-course? Users evaluation: more items 16.
- It is a funny way of learning
- Five weeks were not enough
- We missed email notifications
- It is an interesting tool to attract young people
- I did not like observing how so many students joined but did not participate (the free hypothesis)
- At the beginning I felt I was not sure I was assimilating the contents
Users evaluation: their opinions 17.
- And what about the ones who joined the
- non-course but did not participate?
- Finally I did not have time enough
- I was a bit lost within the Facebook structure
- I did not want such a self-learning methodology, felt itwas too open
- I did not know when the course was starting no notifications
Analyzing non-participation 18. The activity of the facilitator importantly conditioned learners activityThe amount of social learningdepended on each forum The influence of specific active users was very relevant in the engagement and dinamization of the activity in the forumsAn etnographic evaluation 19.
- The structure of the activity is still quite facilitator-centered
- Five weeks is not enough time
- Lack of commitment with free courses
- Facebook and its rigid architecture
- The trend to return to traditional ways to learn
Some conclusions 20.
- How to bridge between the 1.0 habits of users and an open proposal like this?
- How to determine specific functions and tasks of the facilitator and how to switch control to the community?
- How to evaluate learning experiences based on the use of social networks and social learning in general?
- How to deal with the sensations offeeling lost , dispersion... how to face the chaos?
Time for reflection 21. Thank you!:D People who participated in the project: Gemma Aguado Mag Almirall Elena Barber Carles Fernndez Eva Patrcia Gil Roger Griset Juli Minguillon Pepe Mora Ana Maria Rodera Pablo Rebaque