Intro to cinquans and allusions
Embed Size (px)
A quick guide to cinquains and allusions.
Text of Intro to cinquans and allusions
- 1. The Cinquain The Write Stuff
2. Origins of the Cinquain
- Created by an American Poet, Adelaide Crapsey
- Inspired by Japanese poems like Haiku and Tanka
- From the French word Cinq, or five.
3. NTK:Whats a cinquain?
- The poem does not usually rhyme.
- Instead of focusing on syllables (like a Haiku), cinquains focus on a DESCRIPTION.
4. Each line of a cinquain has a specific purpose
- Line 1 (one word; the subject of the poem)
- Line 2 (two words; adjectives that describe line 1)
- Line 3 (three words; action words or verbs that apply to line 1)
- Line 4 (A sentence that relates to line 1)
- Line 5 (one word; a synonym for line 1 or something that sums up the poem)
- Revolving, rotating, angling
- Triangles are all different.
- Waddling, swimming, leaping
- Wearing a tuxedo in the cold.
6. Race Cars
- Refreshing, Enjoying, relaxing
8. 9. Allusions Poetic Devices:The Write Stuff 10. NTK:Whats an Allusion?
- Allusions are poetic devices.
- They use only a word or two.
- They are references to other things.
- Do NOT confuse this word with I llusions
11. Allusions are
- Allusions refer to other things, particularly:
12. You must be familiar with whatever art/literature/culture they arealludingto first. So the tricky thing about allusions is 13. Common allusions
- Greek and Roman mythology
- Religious texts like the Bible, Koran, Torah, Ramayana
- Other famous writers and poets
14. Common allusions
- Classical music and composers
- Important moments in history
15. Common Allusions
- Contemporary references (within the last 100 years)
- Recent music, fashion, art, literature or news
- Common trends or fads in culture
16. 17. Yes.That is part of what makes allusions difficult to catch. Can allusions refer to other allusions? 18. Because allusions can be complex
- Poems and stories will often have footnotes or endnotes that explain allusions
- Look for a small symbol (*, ) or a number next to a word that tells you where to look for the notes.
- Footnotes and endnotes arent just for allusions, but you should read them anyway.