1. Talking about literature online Claudia Wickham EDUC 506 Technology Tutorial
2. How often have you said, we just dont have enough time?
Online threaded discussion allows the teacher and students to expand the classroom beyond the school day and beyond the school walls so that more thoughtful exchanges can take place (English, 2007).
English, Cathie. 2007. "Finding a Voice in a Threaded Discussion Group: Talking About Literature Online."English Journal97 (1): 56-61. http://www.ncte.org/pubs/journals/ej/articles/127929.htm
3. Have you considered
if our students are not reading and composing with various electronic technologies, then they are illiterateright now (Wilhelm, 2000).
Virtual Circles: Using Technology to Enhance Literature Circles & Socratic Seminars
4. 5. How to implement online discussions
Select your online forum where the students can communicate.I will useGaggleblog as an example.
Decide how you want to organize your students into groups for discussion.
Set up your discussion board.
Guide students through the process of accessing the board.
Explain your expectations to the students
6. 1.Select your online forum where the students can communicate.
Here are some examples:
Websites to explore for other implementation ideas:
Classroom blogs and wikis
Get your students blogging
7. 2. Decide how you want to organize your students
Will students get to choose a book from a preselected list of literature?
Are you going to need to assign students particular books for differentiation?
Will students responses be posted by their real name or with a pseudonym so their responses are anonymous?
On your Jump To menu, click on My Blog.
You will see a message that you must first name your Blog by clicking on the link in the message.
On your Blog Setup page, type the name of your blog in the Blog Name box.
Choose your Blog color scheme from the drop down menu.
Click Update. Your Blog Entry screen will then open.
9. 1. Access the Directory (Original Interface: Click the Directory button at the top of the page. Velocity Interface: Expand the Contacts Folder on the left toolbar and click on Directory.) 2. The Blog link to the right of the individual name will open that Blog in a new window. 10. 5. Explain your expectations to the students
Heres an excellent example from
11. Consider this as you explore the possibilities for on-line literature discussions in your classroom
The technology has the potential to serve as an environment for exploring ones own interpretations, constructing ones own meanings and negotiating and/or defending these with peers.Because it offers student-centered experiences, it can encourage constructive discourse and empower independent, critical thinking.