- 1. PC Assembling and Troubleshooting TIPS P.RAMASUBRAMANIAN B-17 Sri Krishna Nagar, Manakkadu Road, MelaTiruchendur 628205. Mobile: +91 - 9994848764
2. What is PC?
- Personal Computer used only one person at a time
- Number and type of peripheral devices connected to the computer systems.
3. Functional Blocks
- Made of several components (units).
- Power Supply unit 2. Motherboard
- 5. Hard disk 6. Floppy drive
- 7. CDROM drive 8. Monitor
- 11. Printer12. Other Devices
4. PARTS OF PC
5. PARTS OF SYSTEM UNIT 6. PARTS OF SYSTEM MACHINE
7. What is a Motherboard ?
- IDE Card, I/O slots, BIOS ROM,
8. Floppy Disk Drive (FDD) 9. STORAGE CAPACITY FORMULA Storage capacity =No. of sides or Surface x Tracks per side or Cylinder xSectors per track x Bytes per Sector 360 KB = 40 Track, 9 Sectors per Track 1.2 MB = 80 Tracks, 15 Sectors per Track 1.44 MB = 80 Tracks, 18 Sectors per Track 2.88 MB = 80 Tracks, 26 Sectors per TrackBytes per Sector 512 (common) 10. HARD DISK DRIVE
- Also called Fixed Disk Drive or Non- Removable Disk
- Type Number (Shows No. of Cylinder and Sector).
12. COMPUTER CABLES
14. STEP BY STEP ASSEMBLING OF COMPUTER 15. Step 1: To Fit SMPS in Cabinet
16. Step 2: Wiring of Panel ON/OFF switch and Fit into the Cabinet
- Four Wires (2 are Red and 2 are White Color)
- RED wires - Heads of first switch
- WHITE wires Heads of Second switch
17. Step 3: FIT RAM CHIPS INMOTHERBOARD
- Fitted in the direction of lock
- Fit from Bank 0 , Bank 1 and so on.
18. Step 4:Fit Motherboard in the cabinet & Supply connectorin Motherboard
- Note that the black wires of both socket should be close to each other.
19. Step 5: Fit Hard Disk in Cabinet
- Component should be down side and Label should be top side.
- Sockets available on the Hard disk should be at the side of the Motherboard.
20. Step 6: Fit IDE and Power Cable in Hard disk
- 40 Wires. Pin No. 1 should be RHS.
- If one fit the cable reversely, then it will not fit in the Hard Disk.
- For Power cable connector, the corner should be matched with the corner of the power supply connector of Hard Disk.
21. Step 7: Fit FDD and FDD cable
- For Power cord, end of RED wire should come at Right Side.
- 34 Pin Female Connector used and RED wire (Pin No.1) must be towards pin No. 1 of Floppy Drive Socket.
22. Step 8: To Fit Add-on Cards in Motherboard
- The card should be fitted into the appropriate I/O slot.
23. Step 9: Connection
- 15 pin signal cable is connected to Display adapter card.
- 5/6 PinKeyboardconnector should be connected.
- A printer cable of 25 pin (male) should be connected on the MB and 36 pin (female) should be connected with printer.
24. Step 10: To fit Back Cover of the System Box
- After fitting all the connectors to the CPU, Monitor, UPS and Printer and fit the back cover of the cabinet.
- While fixing if one should remember that the wires of ON/OFF switch should properly get inside the cabinet.
25. TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
- Before trouble shooting the computer under test, the following checks may properly practiced.
- 1. Check whether the SMPS main power cable and DC voltage cables are connected properly.
- Check whether the keyboard cable is connected properly.
- Check whether the monitor power cable and signal cables are connected properly.
26. TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS (Contd)
- 4.Check whether the DIP switch setting or BIOSsettings in the motherboards are set for proper configuration.
- 5.Check whether the floppy drive power cable and data cable or connected properly.
- 6.Check whether all the daughter boards are inserted in the I/O slot properly.
- 7.Check whether the RESET switch is connected properly.
27. TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS (Contd)
- 8.Check whether the keyboard lock is positioned properly.
- 9.Check whether all the ICs are inserted in the bases properly.
- 10. Check whether a good boot disk is available in drive A or HDD.
- 11. Check whether the speaker connector is connected properly.
28. TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS (Contd)
- After all the above checks are carried out, switch ON the system and observe the POST error messages. From the POST message localize the area of problem and troubleshoot it. When POST itself is not started, the problem will be the motherboard and related circuits.