2. Learning Objectives Briefly describe Biotic environment. Know what are Abiotic factors. Differentiate and Define Herbivores, Carnivores, Omnivores and Scavengers. Know what is meant by predation. Understand Mutualism.
3. Introduction Biotic environment consist of all living things in an ecosystem Biotic components are the living things in an ecosystem. Abiotic factors are inorganic things, which affect the living creatures of an ecosystem.
4. Symbiotic relationship relationship between two kinds of organisms that lasts over a period of time. The word symbiosis can be broken down into two parts to determine its meaning. sym means together bio means life There are three types of symbiotic relationship. Parasitism Mutualism Commensalism
5. Herbivores, Omnivores, Carnivores & Scavengers A herbivore is an animal that feeds on plants An omnivore is a kind of animal that eats animals and plants. A carnivore is an animal that eats other animals. A scavenger is animal that feeds on dead animals.
6. Predation Predation is a biological interaction where a predator feeds on its prey Prey is an organism which is attacked by a predator Predator is an organism that gets its food from the prey Prey Predator
7. Mutualism Mutualism is an relationship between organisms of two different kind in which each is benefited. Type of symbiotic relationship. Mutually beneficial .
8. Neutralism & Competition Relationship Neutralism Relationship is a relationship which both sides are not effected. Competition Relationship is a relationship in which both sides are effected negatively.
9. Now Try this A lion stalks a herd of antelope wading in a pond. A flock of water birds on the shore become startled by the sound of the lions approach and fly away with a great deal of noise. The birds sudden departure gives warning to the antelope, and they are also able to escape safely. What type of relationship exists between the birds and the antelope? a. Competition b. Mutualism c. Commensalism d. Parasitism
10. Practice Time A lichen is a combination of two organisms, an alga and a fungus. The fungus gets its food from the alga while the alga gets water from the fungus. This is an example of which relationship? a. Competition b. Mutualism c. Parasitism d. Commensalism