1. Using Google Docs in Education Kent Gerber TLTR Meeting February 18, 2009
2. What is Google Docs? Suite of software like Microsoft Office, with some unique features Google Docs in Plain English
3. Basic Functions Document = Word Presentation = Power Point Spreadsheet = Excel Forms populate a spreadsheet
4. Must Have Three Things Internet access Email account Google account (attached to the email address you chose)
5. Unique Features Stored securely online (Invitation only) Accessible anywhere with Internet connection Tied to Google Account which is linked to a specific email address Multiple people can edit at the same time.
6. Unique Features Sharing and Editing a Document 200 person limit per document Access levels: Viewers (can only see it) Collaborators (edit and view document) Simultaneous editing: Limits: Doc & Presentation- 10 Spreadsheet- 50
7. How Can This Help? Collaborate from a distance and asynchronously Accessible anywhere, not tied to one computer Easy to share and control access editors, viewer, or publish online
8. Examples http://mediatedcultures.net/ksudigg/?p=119 Kansas State Professor created a Google Doc to facilitate a brainstorming session 367 edits made in one week. "Students wrote the script, suggested survey questions to ask the entire class. The survey was administered the following week.
9. Examples Google Document used to create this guide: Using Google Docs in the Classroom
10. Some Teaching Advantages If Teacher is Owner or Collaborator: Can give feedback in progress Can observe work in progress Can track student participation Viewer only: Can track student participation Can not give feedback
11. Administrative Uses Great for single documents meant for a specific group of people: Agendas Handbooks Lesson Plans (Shared Courses)
12. In-Class Uses Group work Chat within Spreadsheets and Presentation One teacher observed higher level conversation in this format http://www.twentyfortech.com/?tag=google-docs-in-education Tests or polls for instant feedback
13. Challenges Loss of Internet connection Invitation emails are automatically generated and can go to junk mail
14. Good News Can download documents onto your computer as backup Notify recipients of invitations to check their junk mail directly from your email account