- 1. Rabbeah AhmedAS Media Coursework For my AS Media Studies coursework I chose to create a magazine with the genre Classical Rock. After careful thought and research into Classical Rock magazines I decided to target my magazine towards 35 to 45 year old Middle classed men.
- 1)In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
3. Conventions of a Front Cover Masthead:This masthead is bold and unique which makes it stand out. This magazine also illustrates what the genre of the magazine is. Classic Rocks masthead is always situated at the top of the page and in the centre.Eyebrows :Classic Rock magazine normally has an eyebrow on top of the masthead. Central Image:This is always in the middle of the page . The person in the image is always facing the camera.Cover Line : As this is a special edition that came from a cardboard package, there is only one cover line.Barcode:Every magazine has this somewhere on their front cover. In this magazine the barcode is at the bottom of the front cover. 4. Masthead:Just like Classic Rock magazine my front cover has an eyebrow on top of the masthead. Central Image:My front cover also has a central image facing the camera, due to the fact that I was following Classic Rock magazines convention. This would be much more appealing and grab the target audiences attention, as the eye would get the attention of the reader instantly.Eyebrow:Classic Rock magazine normally has an eyebrow on top of the masthead and this is exactly what I did for my front cover.Cover line: As this is a special edition that came from a cardboard package, there is only one cover line. I chose to do this as I was following the conventions of Classic Rock magazine.Barcode:The barcode for my front cover is layed out in the same way as Classic Rocks barcode.The Colours:I choose to use black , blue and a bronze and white colour in the masthead. This is because the audience is elderly males. 5. The masthead of my magazine is bold , outstanding and unique just like Classic Rock magazines masthead.I followed this convention.However, tochallenge the conventions of Classic Rock magazines masthead, I added bronze to my mastheadand changed the style of it. The colours used in the masthead are gold and white . This is mainly because the audience of the magazine is men, and so therefore feminine colours are not used such as pink.Also, I did notuse bright coloursasmy magazine is related to a audiencebetween the ages of 35 and 45 so in this case bright colours wouldnotfit in with the magazine.Similarly, Classic Rockdoes not use feminine colours and just keeps it simple with a white colour. As seen when I conducted my research, Classic Rock magazine uses a variety of fonts. Due to the fact that I wasfollowing some of the conventionsof Classic Rock magazine, I used many different font styles for my front cover, contents page and double page spread. This made my magazine look like a professional and real media product. 6.
- Although the Classic Rock magazine didnt have a house style and I was following the conventions of this magazine, I decided to goagainst the conventionsof Classic Rock magazine, and make my magazine have a house style in colours and layout which is similar to what Q and Uncut magazine have.
7. Headline: This is shown in a bold and swirly font. It also gives the page number on which the cover story will be in the magazine.Features:Shows the page numbers and a brief description of what would be included in the pages. Image:Is showing what the cover story is based on. Winning Offer:Grabs the readers attention by making them aware that they could win something . Special Offer:Another way to get the readers attention and make them want to read on. 8. Features:J ust like Classic Rock magazine, I also decided to have a features section layed out in a similar way. Image:I have placed an image of what my cover story is going to be based on, as I was following the conventions of Classic Rock magazines contents page on this. 9. Unlike Classic Rock magazinescontents page, I did not include a special and winning offer on my one. This is because I feel that a free gift coming with my magazine is enough to get the readers attention. This is one way in whichIchallenged the conventionsof Classic Rock magazines contents page.Ifollowed the conventionsof Classic Rock magazine on their contents page layout of the page numbers, and the brief descriptions on what is on each page in the magazine. 10. Main Image:This is placed on the right hand side of the page and is a full bleed image.Headline:This is placed at the top of the left hand side page in a fancy font. The reason why this font is used is so the reader is aware that the article is about that. Pull Quote:These are genuinely used to grab the readers eye and persuade them to read the article. Box Out:This is another way that the attention of the audience is caught. Stand first:This is a convention of all magazines, whichgives a brief description on what the article is about.Columns:There are normally 2-3 columns in a double page spread in Classic Rock magazines. By line:This says the name of the person who wrote the article Drop Cap:These are the big letters at the beginning of an article. 11. Headline:This is placed at the top of the left hand side page in a fancy font. The reason why this font is used is so the reader is aware that the article is about that. Drop Cap:Big letter at the beginning of an article. Pull Quote:These are genuinely used to grab the readers eye and persuade them to read the article. Footer Header Standfirst: This is a convention of all magazines, whichgives a brief description on what the article is about. By Line:This says the name of the person who wrote the article. 12.
- I challenged the conventions by adding more drop caps to the copy on my double page spread. Also, I put the full bleed image on the left hand side instead of the right hand side.
- The By line, pull quote, stand first and headline of my double page spread are illustrated similar to Classic Rock magazines.
- 2)How does your media product represent particular social groups?
- Representation refers to the construction in anyof aspects of reality such as people, places, objects, events, cultural identities and other abstract concepts. These representations could be in speech, writing. Still or moving pictures.
- The magazine I have chosen to produce is a Classic Rock magazine. This magazine will be aimed at B-C2 class white men between the ages of thirty-five and forty-five. This magazine clearly would not be suitable for young teenagers as the language is formal, and the music in the magazine is more or less based on one part in the music industry.
- Top Of The Rocks Reader Profile
- Michael is thirty-five years old and owns an extensive record collection. He listens to a wide variety of music genres including classic rock , punk, reggae a touch of C&W and the best of mainstream pop, particularly pop/rock.Michael goes to gigs as often as he can, usually these are by established musicians. Michael loves to talk to his friends and anyone he can about his musical tastes and memories. In short Michael is an established middle-class man who sees his self as a connoisseur of good music andof all other things.
15. The way herhairis presented in a scruffy lookrepresents the look of Blondie who always has untidy hair in her images. My magazine isshown to be a classical rock magazine as the copyshows this. Also,theclothingin a way suggests that the magazine isa classical rock oneas they are dark coloursand quite baggy. On top of this, thered lipstickis also another typicalBlondie feature, as she is seen with red lipstick in her images on many occasions.The way my model is posing demonstrates that sheis a singer consideringshe has a microphone in herhand. Also, her hands are on herhips to make herlookmore sexy.This pose also connectsback to the fact that Blondie is not only a singer but she alsohad actingroles .In order to create myfront cover image in such a way, Iused a black backdrop because I wanted a black background to myfront cover image. I also used lightingso the tone of the model of Blondie would come out right.Myfront cover, contents page and double page spread alltarget a specific social class group . This is shown bymise-en-scenewhich isevery element that is placed inside the scene to be captured by the camera: lighting, costumes, props, set, performance. 16.
- 3)What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?
- During my research on magazines, I researched onFuture publishing ,IPC media andBauer .
- Bauerpublishes many magazines but mainly targeting females around the ages of 24 to 55. These magazines consist of Heat magazine, Closer etc. However Bauer also publishes magazines such as Q and Kerrang. This clearly shows that Bauer publishes magazines aimed at men and women.
http://www.bauermedia.co.uk/ To visit Bauers website click on 18.
- IPC Mediasprint reaches almost two-thirds of women and 42% of men in the UK which is almost twenty-six million UK adults. It offers something for everyone, but mainly focuses on men, mass market and upmarket women. Also, in 2001 IPC Media was sold to Time Incorporated which is the magazine publishing branch of Time Warner. This means that IPC Media is part of an international co-orporation.
- Their men's magazines consists of: Country Life,Horse & Hound Rugby World, Decanter, as well as lifestyle brands including Nuts, Mousebreaker and NME.