Key note speach presented at the 4th Passionate about Practice Conference, Brisbane, Queensland, 8th August.
Text of Disasters happen: Practice implications and issues
1. DISASTERS HAPPEN:PRACTICE IMPLICATIONS AND ISSUESJamie Ranse Assistant Professor University of Canberra jamieranse.com twitter.com/jamieranse youtube.com/jamieranse linkedin.com/in/jamieranse
2. disasters happen What is a disaster? Are you willing to participate?Are you able to participate? What education have you received? Are you well resourced? What would your role be? What other things should you think about? What is the reality of working in a disaster? 3. what is a disaster? 4. what is a disaster?
Cyclone Tracy, 1974
Granville train crash and bridge collapse, 1977
Ash Wednesday, 1983
Newcastle earthquake, 1989
Canberra bushfires, 2003
Black Saturday and Victorian bushfires, 2009
Pandemic (H1N1), 2009
Queensland and Victorian extreme weather events, 2011
5. what is a disaster?
SARS outbreak, 2003
Indian Ocean tsunami, 2004
Bali bombings, 2005
Java earthquake, 2006
Yogyakarta air crash, 2007
SIEV explosion Ashmore Reef, 2009
Pacific tsunami, 2009
Pakistan floods, 2010
SIEV sinking Christmas Island, 2010
Christchurch Earthquake, 2011
6. are you willing to participate? 7. are you able to participate? 8. what education have you received?
9. are you well resourced?
Delayed versus non-delayed disasters
Disasters happen out of hours
Pack the car full
10. what would your role be?
Coordinator of care
11. what other things should you think about?
Government / registered NGO?
Response versus recovery
What is a disaster?
Important to have an understanding of the factors that may influence willingness
Willing, but not able
Education should mimic the realities of disasters and be consistent
Well resourced, supported by an organisation
Know what to expect in your role
Consider other things
13. DISASTERS HAPPEN:PRACTICE IMPLICATIONS AND ISSUESJamie Ranse Assistant Professor University of Canberra jamieranse.com twitter.com/jamieranse youtube.com/jamieranse linkedin.com/in/jamieranse