Instructor: David Rabinowitz In this class you'll learn how to make an awesome promo video with just your iPhone and free software from the web. You're not just going to talk about making a movie ... you're actually going to make one. Here's an example of what you might leave with: in a single morning, using everyday equipment and software David Rabinowitz made this 90 second video for his company. You'll learn: The key principles of an engaging video What types of video are right for your company Simple tips to produce high quality videos at low or no cost (you won't learn about animation or advanced video editing techniques)
Text of DIY: How to Produce Video Content on a Startup Budget
presents DIY: How to Produce Video Content for Your Company on a Startup Budget David Rabinowitz @Daverabin
How to bootstrap a start-up film
Featuring ~ 1. Quality is as quality does ! 2. Storyboarding isnt for planners ! 3. Lets make a movieerrr learn how to make a movie
Quality is as quality does Featuring: ~ Blurry is good ~ Audio is always harder than video. Always. ~ This equipment is cheap!
1) Blurry is good
2) Audio is always harder than video. Always.
3) This equipment is cheap! The $184 studio. Name Price Link Own it a decent computer $1000 www.apple.com Borrow it DSLR camera $650 www.amazon.com Its free! Magic lantern $0 www.magiclantern.fm/ Buy it 50mm F 1.8 lens $109 www.amazon.com Buy it $20 www.amazon.com Buy it Lavalier microphone Decent tripod $25 www.amazon.com Buy it Adobe premiere $30 www.adobe.com Total $184 Brand names for equipment: ! DSLR Camera Canon t5i Lavalier Microphone Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Mic Tripod Vista explorer 60 inch lightweight tripod
Storyboarding isnt for planners Featuring: ~ Quick is your friend. Funny is your friend, too. ~ Storyboardingsort of ~ B-roll is brilliant
1) Quick is your friend. Funny is your friend, too. 1. Your movie should be short. Like less than two minutes. ! 1. Visual cuts need to be short. Like less than 10 seconds / 2 sentences. 2. ! Your movie should be a little funny. Unless theres a reason for it not to be.
2. Storyboardingsort of
2. Storyboardingsort of What you do need: ! a general sense of tone (funny, serious, etc) a general sense of purpose (sales, education, etc) the ability to give your colleagues some direction on camera ! What you dont need: ! a script stick figures acting out a script
2. Storyboardingsort of Video Audio Ceo explains product Shot of product What a cool office! CEO explains product (audio) Music Marketing person loves the product! Marketing person loves product (audio)
3. B-Roll is brilliant A Roll Ceo explains product Marketing person loves the product! CEO explains product (audio) Marketing person loves product (audio) B Roll Shot of product What a cool office!
Lets make a movieerr learn how to make a movie Featuring: ~ A virtual worksheet ~ Smile and say cheese ~ Cut and paste
1. A virtual worksheet (10 mins) 1) Whats the purpose of your movie? 2) Whats the tone of your movie? 3) Whats one piece of A roll you know youll want? 4) Whats one piece of B roll you know youll want? 5) Whats one cool shot you could pre-plan? 6) Whats one problem you might have? 7) What are two questions you can plan to ask your actors? (This is your script)
2) Smile and say cheese (15 mins) Your job: ! 1) Get one piece of A-Roll, and direct it (work with a neighbor!) ! 1) Get one piece of B-Roll ! 2) Think for a moment how they could fit together
3) Cut and paste (20 mins) 1) New project 2) Create a sequence 3) Import files 4) Pull a clip to the timeline 5) Edit a little 6) Fix the audio 7) Add a transition 8) Export