- 1.He Opened Their Mind that they might understand the scriptures Luke 24:45
2. Luke 24:13-15And behold,two of them were going that very day to a village named Emmaus , which was threescore furlongs from Jerusalem.14.And they communed with each other of all these things which had happened.15.And it came to pass, while they communed and questioned together, thatJesus himself drew near, and went with them . 3. Luke 24
- 25.And he said unto them,O foolish men, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken !
- 26.Behooved it not the Christ to suffer these things, and to enter into his glory?
- 27.And beginning from Moses and from all the prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself .
4. Luke 24
- 44.And he said unto them,These are my words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must needs be fulfilled, which are written in the law of Moses, and the prophets, and the psalms, concerning me .
- 45.Then opened he their mind, that they might understand the scriptures ;
- 46.and he said unto them,Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer, and rise again from the dead the third day;
- 47.and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name unto all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem .
5. Seeing Shadows
- One has to have his mind opened to see these connections between OT prophecies, shadows, types and metaphors. For this we depend upon NT revelation concerning the meaning of OT passages.
6. Jacob's ladder The brass serpent Jonah 7. 8. Proving that Jesus is the Christ
- And straightway in the synagogues he proclaimed Jesus, that he is the Son of God.21.And all that heard him were amazed, and said, Is not this he that in Jerusalem made havoc of them that called on this name? and he had come hither for this intent, that he might bring them bound before the chief priests.22.But Saul increased the more in strength, and confounded the Jews that dwelt at Damascus,provingthat this is the Christ .
9. Persuading them concerning Jesus
- But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, it is known to us that everywhere it is spoken against. 23.And when they had appointed him a day, they came to him into his lodging in great number; to whom he expounded the matter, testifying the kingdom of God, andpersuading them concerning Jesus, both from the law of Moses and from the prophets , from morning till evening .
- 2 Timothy 3:14-15But abide thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them. 15.And that from a babe thou hast known the sacred writings which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
Sacred Writings 11. 2 Timothy 3
- 16.Every scripture inspired of God is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness.
- 17.That the man of God may be complete, furnished completely unto every good work.
12. Romans 15:4
- For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that through patience and through comfort of the scriptures we might have hope.
13. Our Passover
- 1 Corinthians 5:7 Purge out the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, even as ye are unleavened. For our passover also hath been sacrificed, even Christ:
14. The Lamb of God
- John 1:29On the morrow he seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
- John 1:35-35 Again on the morrow John was standing, and two of his disciples;36.and he looked upon Jesus as he walked, and saith, Behold, the Lamb of God!
15. 16. Hebrews 10
- 10.By which willwe have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all .
- 11.And every priest indeed standeth day by day ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, the which can never take away sins:
- 12.but he,when he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever , sat down on the right hand of God;
17. Deuteronomy 18
- 15.Jehovah thy God will raise up unto thee a prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
- 18.I will raise them up a prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
- 19.And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
- Acts 6:7And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem exceedingly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.
19. Hebrews 8:3-5
- For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is necessary that this high priest also have somewhat to offer.4.Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, seeing there are those who offer the gifts according to the law;5.who serve that which is acopyandshadowof the heavenly things, even as Moses is warned of God when he is about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to thepatternthat was showed thee in the mount.
- An image cast by an object and representing the form of that object--but not its substance or reality.
- Hebrews 8:5 The tabernacle, an earthly shadow of the heavenly realities.
that which is a copy and shadow of the heavenly things 21. Which came first?
22. What is IT? 23. 24. What is a type?
- Exactly what is a type? Theologically speaking, a type may be defined as a figure or ensample of something future and more or less prophetic, called the Antitype (E. W. Bullinger,Figures of Speech Used in the Bible,p. 768).
- The word "type" is derived from a Greek termtupos( tupos ), which occurs 16 times in the New Testament.
- It is variously translated in the King James Version, e.g. twice "print" ( John 20:25 ); twice "figure" ( Acts 7:43 ;Romans 5:14 ); twice "pattern" ( Titus 2:7 ;Hebrews 8:5 ); once "fashion" ( Acts 7:44 ); once "manner" ( Acts 23:25 ); once "form" ( Romans 6:17 ); and seven times "example" ( 1 Corinthians 10:6,11 ;Philippians 3:17 ;1 Thessalonians 1:7 ;2 Thessalonians 3:9 ;1 Timothy 4:12 ;1 Peter 5:3 ).
- A thing resembling another, its counterpart.
- Hebrews 9:24 High priest in tabernacle the figure; Christ appearing before God on our behalf, the reality.
27. TYPE - ANTITYPE
- The print of the palm is the TYPE
- The hand that produced the print is the ANTITYPE
- Christ is the REALITY that produces the shadow, the various types, the copies
- Hebrews 5:5-6So Christ also glorified not himself to be made a high priest, but he that spake unto him, Thou art my Son, This day have I begotten thee:6.as he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever After the order of Melchizedek.
- It was necessary therefore thatthe copies of the things in the heavensshould be cleansed with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.24.For Christ entered not intoa holy placemade with hands, like in pattern to the true; butinto heaven itself , now to appear before the face of God for us:25.nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place year by year with blood not his own;26.else must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once at the end of the ages hath he been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
30. Biblical Types
- Can be seen in INSTITUTIONS
ANTITYPE IS CHRIST 31. Persons / and Events
32. Adam Moses Joshua Aaron Melchizedek David Solomon Jonah Isaac CHRIST 33. Institutions
- cf. Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was now come