Following Jesus means we follow Jesus without conditions. This message was given on July 6, 2014 at New City Church in Calgary by Pastor John Ferguson. For more info visit: www.newcitychurch.ca
Text of Sermon Slide Deck: "Following Jesus On A New Journey" (Luke 9:51-62)
1. Following Jesus On A New Journey ~ Luke 9:51-62 ~
2. God Gives Us His Words of Eternal Life Luke 9:51-62 Found on page 868 in our guest Bibles. Todays Scripture:
3. What does it mean to follow Jesus of Nazareth ?
4. Following Jesus On A New Journey ~ Luke 9:51-62 ~
5. When the days drew near for him Luke 9:51 to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.
6. And he sent messengers ahead of Luke 9:52-54 him who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make prepara- tions for him. But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. And when
7. his disciples James and John saw Luke 9:52-54 it, they said, Lord, do you want us to tell re to come down from heaven and consume them?
8. But he turned and rebuked them. Luke 9:55
9. But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. ~ Luke 6:27-28
10. ~ Os Guinness The link between a belief & its outcome is important to examine. Some bad behavior, however, is an accurate reection of a belief, while other bad behavior is such a contradiction of its belief that it is no reection at all.
11. And they went on to another village. Luke 9:56-58 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, I will follow you wherever you go. And Jesus said to him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the
12. Son of Man has nowhere to lay his Luke 9:56-58 head.
13. Jesus was saying that if you walk with him, you will sense that the world is not your home. There will be dissonance, discomfort, unease, and rejection. He was saying that to follow him, one must embrace a life of discomfort.
14. To another he said, Follow me. But Luke 9:59-60 he said, Lord, let me rst go and bury my father. And Jesus said to him, Leave the dead to bury their own dead. But as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.
15. Yet another said, I will follow, Lord, Luke 9:61 but let me rst say farewell to those at my home. Jesus said to him, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is t for the kingdom of God.
16. If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. ~ The Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:51
17. Why does Luke record this account in his historical biography of Jesus? Important Question
18. Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. ~ CS Lewis, Professor Oxford University
19. Jesus is either of supreme importance, or of no importance. What he cannot be moderately important.
20. Following Jesus means we follow Jesus without conditions. Summary
21. Count the cost1
22. Rejection1 Three Responses to the Call to Follow Jesus the people did not receive him.
23. Rejection1 Three Responses to the Call to Follow Jesus Conditional acceptance2 the people did not receive him. I will follow, Lord, but rst
24. Rejection1 Three Responses to the Call to Follow Jesus Conditional acceptance2 Unconditional acceptance3 the people did not receive him. I will follow, Lord, but rst They left everything and followed him.
25. Focus on the Right Priority2
26. If Jesus is Gods Son, our first duty is towards him. A man who considers that he has a prior duty to fulfill before he is free to become a follower of Christ, has no concept of who Christ is.
27. For me to live is Christ. ~ The Apostle Paul in Philippians 1:21, 23