Real life is found in living for (& if necessary dying for) the Lord Jesus Christ. This message was given on May 18, 2014 at New City Church in Calgary by Pastor John Ferguson. For more info: www.newcitychurch.ca
Text of Sermon Slide Deck: "The Cost Of Discipleship" (Luke 9:23-27)
1. The Cost of Discipleship ~ Luke 9:23-27 ~
2. God Gives Us His Words of Eternal Life Luke 9:23-27 Found on page 867 in our guest Bibles. Todays Scripture:
3. Charlemagne (c.742-814 AD)
4. What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and yet loses his soul ?
5. 23 And he said to all, If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. Luke 9:23-27
6. 27 But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God. Leader: This is the Word of the Lord. Unison: Thanks be to God! Luke 9:23-27
7. The Cost of Discipleship ~ Luke 9:23-27 ~
8. And he said to all, If anyone would Luke 9:23 come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.
9. Deny yourself1
10. Deny yourself1 Take up your cross daily2
11. To be crucied means, rst, the man on the cross is facing only one direction; second, he is not going back; and third, he has no further plans of his own. ~ AW Tozer (1918-1963)
12. Deny yourself1 Take up your cross daily2 Follow me3
13. For whoever would save his life will Luke 9:24 lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.
14. For what does it prot a man if he Luke 9:25 gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?
15. #YOLO (you only live once)
16. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. ~ James 4:14
17. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. ~ Jim Elliot, (1927-1056) Missionary Martyr
18. For whoever is ashamed of me and Luke 9:26 my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
19. But I tell you truly, there are some Luke 9:27 standing here who will not taste death until they see the Kingdom of God.
20. Why does Luke record this account in his historical biography of Jesus? Important Question
21. Real life is found in living for (& dying for) the Lord Jesus Christ. Summary
22. Count the cost 1
23. W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
24. Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998) I amin Pascals famous phrase wagering my life on the faith that Jesus is the ultimate authority. My answer is a confession: I believe.
25. Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998) The Christian commitment is distinguished in that it is a commitment to a belief about the meaning of the whole of human experience in its entirety
26. Lesslie Newbigin (1909-1998) namely, the belief that this meaning is to be found in the person of Jesus Christ, incarnate, crucied, risen, and destined to reign over all things.
27. Find your identity as a follower of Jesus 2
28. The more we get what we now call ourselves out of the way and let Him take us over, the more truly ourselves we become. Give up yourself, and you will nd your real self. Lose your life and you will save it.
29. Submit to death, the death of your ambitions and favorite wishes every day and the death of your whole body in the end. Submit with every ber of your being, and you will nd eternal life. Keep nothing back.
30. Look for yourself, and you will nd in the long run only hatred, loneliness, despair, rage, ruin, and decay. But look for Christ and you will nd Him, and with Him everything else thrown in.
31. Aim at Heaven and you will get earth thrown in; aim at earth and you will get neither. ~ CS Lewis