- I teach, therefore you learn... or do you?
I teach, therefore you learn... or do you?
Embed Size (px)
Exploring the changing expectations of our students.
- I teach, therefore you learn... or do you? The changing expectations of our pupils
- We no longer live the way we used to
- We teach the way we used to We teach the way we were taught
- Our philosophy may be outdated
- We may be stuck in our old ways
- The old may feel safe and reliable
- Perhaps the new offers a better alternative
- Consider this:
- Charles Dickens wrote like this
- But our pupils read Charles dickens like this
- Yet we expect our pupils to produce work like this
- But not like this
- It may be time to reconsider the way we teach
- But why?
- Our pupils are not that different from us
- But they experience the world differently
- Think about it...
- Our generation watched TV: Limited information Structured schedules
- Their generation use computers: Limitless information 24/7 access
- Our pupils share the same interests we had: Friendship Socialising
- But they use different tools
- The means of communication have changed
- This is how they communicate:
- Communication may hold the key
- We need to start listening
- We need to teach using the right tools
- We need to teach life skills
- We need to stop resisting change
- We risk being left behind
- If we are to meet our students expectations
- If we are to engage our pupils
- If we are to remain relevant
- If we want them to learn from us
- We may need to learn from them
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/foundphotoslj/466722575/ Photos from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59866125@N00/2569980414/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/abennett96/3168581574/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcostin/75494566/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/abbyladybug/2090551827/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/leobard/3157146320/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/pshab/498122926/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/96957132@N00/132505259/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanier67/2979124681/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/ul_marga/755378645/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/benandjenn/2419628201/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/tfrancis/2914270909/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/rrrodrigo/1343759318/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasewiththeface/2351957152/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaswenden/116786466/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/fake_eyes/342753239/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/emokr/309215062/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/julisuarezvalente/3083877028/ Special thanks to A. Simner & W. Orchard