10 Rules To Keep Your Child Safe
Embed Size (px)
- 1. 10 RULES TO KEEP YOUR CHILD SAFE ONLINE By Shaun Bent
- The Internet can be a very dangerous place for young Children!
- At the same time though it can also be very enjoyable and educational to them.
- These set of ten rules are designed to help you the Parent keep your Child safe while their online.
3. Number 1:
- Keep Personal Information Confidential, Never let your Child give out their:
- School Name & School Address
- They should also not talk about places they like to hang around to people they dont know!
4. Number 2:
- Keep the Internet as a family activity, where possible keep the computer in a family room rather than a room where the child is on there own.
- This way you can keep an eye on what your Child is doing without having to sit behind them.
- You can also feel a little better as you can see what there up to.
5. Number 3:
- Be aware of what websites & services your child is using.
- Make sure your Child is not accessing any websites they should not. For example any website that is:
6. Number 4:
- Monitor the use of Social Networking Sites.
- Sites such as MySpace, Facebook & Bebo are very popular with the younger generation, but can also be very dangerous if there usage is not monitored.
- Make sure your aware of what information is on your Childs profile
- Make sure your aware of who they are talking to and what there talking about
7. Number 5:
- Never allow your Child to meet up with anyone they have met through a Social Networking Site on their own or with other friends.
- If your Child is intent on meeting someone they have met online, then arrange the meeting in a controlled environment where you are present
- It helps to know your Childs online friend as well as you know there normal friends.
8. Number 6:
- Encourage children to tell you about anything they find that is suggestive, obscene, threatening or makes them feel uncomfortable.
- This way you can help to filter out anything this can be dangerous or harmful to them.
- This will also help you develop a trust with your Child and there Internet use.
9. Number 7:
- Dont think its ok because their friends are doing it.
- Just because your Childs friends may be using a certain Website or Internet Service it doesnt always mean it is safe for your Child.
- Always vet a website that your Child has expressed great interest in
10. Number 8:
- Discourage your Child from posting pictures of themselves online!
- This will stop your Child from being identified offline (i.e. in the street)
- If your Child insist on posting pictures online, be sure to view all the pictures before they go online.
11. Number 9:
- Don't immediately blame the child if they receive or access something obscene - this may have been done accidentally.
- Many website make money by have pop-ups designed to attract your attention so that you click on them, thus forwarding you to another website.
- Your Child may not be aware of the intent of these links or even what website is on the other end of the link.
12. Number 10:
- Set your own golden rules and after discussing them, stick them at the side of the computer.
- This way your child is always reminded of what is and is not acceptable to do on the Internet.
- Enjoy the Internet, it is a great tool and can provide your Child with many hours of enjoyment and education!