- 1. Invasive Species A Threat to the Environment Todor Toto Elena 10/1
2. What are Invasive Species?(4, 6)
- Definition a species of animals or plants non-native to an environment in which their numbers are growing rapidly
- May be used for native species
Poison hemlock(US) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b2/Conium.jpg 3. Alien Species(1, 4)
- Alien species & Invasive species - not interchangeable!!!
- Alien species that doesnt do harm - Introduced
- Example: Goldfish (on picture)
http://jerkmag.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/goldfish3.jpg 4. Characteristics of Invasive Species(4, 6)
- Chain reactions - catastrophic to economies and habitats
http://danceswithflowers.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ipresents.jpg 5. Ecological Problems Caused by Invasive Species(6)
- Remove natural controls->other species flourish
- Both animal and plant species are threatened
http://imghost.indiamart.com/data/1/P/MY-978044/poultry-chicken_250x250.jpg http://www.birding.in/images/Birds/red_junglefowl.jpg 6. Economic Problems Caused by Invasive Species(6)
- Rapid decline in tree populations
- Large amounts of crops destroyed
- Damage to fish industries
- Damages are often worth billions of dollars
7. Methods of Introduction(7)
- Intentional-purposefully brought by humans, usually for profit
- Accidental- a species hitchhiking onto a man-made vessel and traveling to another environment
Red foxes: introduced to Alaska to help fur trade http://www.wildnatureimages.com/images%203/Red-Fox-Road..jpg Killer bees: accidentally made their way into Brazil http://www.thinkrabies.com/killerbee.jpg 8. Dealing With Invasive Species(1, 8)
- Once identified->removed with pesticides
- Harder and more costly to remove
- Poisoning, hunting, or transportation out of the area
- Social awareness and involvement
Removing harmful vines http://www.watershedactivities.com/projects/summer/media/vineremoval3.jpg 9. Examples of Invasive Species(2)
- Canada Goose( Branta Canadensis )
- Genetic pollution of Greylag Goose
- Kills and diminishes small fowl populations
- Droppings - environmental hazard
- Oftencollides with aircrafts
http://www.europe-aliens.org/images/factsheetMaps/31_bracan.jpg 11. Examples of Invasive Species(3, 9)
- Canadian Waterweed( Elodea canadensis )
- An obstacle for fishing, swimming, boating, water skiing
- Attempts to remove it by blocking sunlight, poisoning, and introducing species that eat it
http://www.europe-aliens.org/images/factsheetMaps/61_elocan.jpg 13. Sources & Bibliography
- "Alien Species ". Southern Crossroads. June 5, 2010.
- Canada Goose. Delivering Alien Species Inventories for Europe. June 5, 2010
- Canada Waterweed . Delivering Alien Species Inventories for Europe. June 5, 2010
- "DAISIE". Delivering Alien Species Inventories for Europe. June 5, 2010.
- "Explore Your Watershed". Carson River Watershed. June 5, 2010.
- "Global Invasive Species Database ". Invasive Species Specialist Group. June 5, 2010.
- "Invasive ". Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health. June 5, 2010.
- "Invasive Species Information Center". Natural Agricultural Library. June 5, 2010.
- "Shoreline Weed Control ". Shoreline Weed Control. June 5, 2010.