- 1. Wireless Clients Describing Cisco Aironet WLAN Client Adaptors
2. Cisco ADU and ACAU Overview
- Sensitivity: -94 dBm at 1Mb/s (802.11b), -87 dBm at 6 Mb/s (802.11a), power 100 mW max
- 802.11 a/b/g (not 802.11n)
- Support 802.1X, including Cisco LEAP, EAP-FAST, PEAP-GTC, PEAP-MSCHAPv2), and EAP-TLS, WPA, WPA2, MFP, AES, TKIP
- Best managed with the Cisco ADU and ACAU, tools dedicated to managing Cisco WLAN adapters
AIR-CB21AG-X-K9AIR-PI21AG-X-K9 3. Installing the Cisco ADU Plug and play install, three install options 4. Installing Site Survey Utility
- The Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility is an additional tool
5. Using the Cisco ADU or a Third-Party Tool
- Use the ADU or something else to manage your Cisco WLAN adapter?
6. Detecting the Adapter and Rebooting
- Insert the adapter before or during install
Rebooting is recommended 7. Cisco ADU Current Status Page
- The ASTU shows basic information
Select to open the ADU GUI 8. Advanced Information
9. Cisco ADU Profile Manager
- To create a profile from a detected network, clickScan
10. Cisco ADU: Creating Profiles 11. Cisco ADU: Profile Security 12. Cisco ADU: Advanced Parameters
Are you in PSP or CAM mode? Ad hoc or infrastructure? 13. Cisco ADU: Other Tools Diagnostic Diagnostic tab gives more detailed information on your adapter and your connection. Also used for monitoring and troubleshooting. 14. Cisco ADU: Other Tools Diagnostic (Cont.) In the client managed test, the network connectivity is tested from the WLAN adapter, starting from the driver installation up tonetwork and authentication test,and through card insertion, enable, radio and association tests. There is also a network managed test, where the test is conducted from the WLC, the client being passive. This tests how the networks sees you, rather than how you see it. 15. 16. 17. Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility
The utility gives you dynamicrepresentation of your connection to the wireless network. It displays AP MAC address, channel, RSSI, noise level, SNR, speed of your connection. From this the connection quality isshown (green/excellent, yellow/good, orange/fair, red/poor). From Action>Enable Proximity Beeper, get a detection beep when getting closer to the AP. From Action>Option, select what triggers the proximity beeper. 18. Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility: Thresholds From Threshold>Configure Thresholds, determine how you want to log events detected by the utility. They can be changes in the association, connection (or loss) to an URL, RSSI, noise, SNR, or speed thresholds. This allows you to determine physical limits of your cells. To avoid too many entries in the logs, you can configure theminimum duration of an event worth noticing. 19. Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility: AP Scan List The AP scan list reports all the APs detected by your adapter, not for you to pick one to associate to, but to analyze the APs around the adapters and determine their physical characteristics. You can interrupt the scanning process to stay on one channel, log the list. Accumulate writes all the detected APs over time, without deleting those not in range anymore. 20. Cisco Aironet Site Survey Utility: AP Scan List (Cont.) Click AP Scanning>Configure to determine how often the AP list would be logged automatically, and/or in which case a log entry should be written. 21. Cisco Aironet Configuration Administration Utility
Profiles creation The ACAU allows the network administrator to centrally create profiles to be deployed to clients ADUs, and to configure how the ADU should be installed and configured in automated deployments (global settings) 22. Cisco Aironet Configuration Administration Utility: Profile Management Creating a profile from the ACAU is very similar to the same process on the ADU, general, security, advanced tabs are the same. 23. 24. 25.
Cisco ACAU: Global Settings File >Save As The global settings will affect the ADU behavior on the client machine. Profiles and global settings will be savedas CiscoAdminConfig.dat file, which, put in the same directory as the ADU installer, will force a specific install or repair of the software. 26. Summary
- The Cisco ADU is the tool to manage Cisco wireless cards.
- Its installation is straightforward and requires a reboot.
- The Cisco ADU main page shows the client IP address, and selecting the Advanced button displays advanced status information about the client.
- Profiles define configuration and security parameters to connect to the different WLANs.
- The advanced statistics screen is predominantly used for troubleshooting and provides transmit and receive statistics as well as encryption error information.
- The Cisco ADU alsolaunchesa diagnostic tool.
- The Site Survey Utility provides detailed information on the connection, along with troubleshooting features.
- The Cisco ACAU is an administration tool for the Cisco ADU.
- It is used to create and deploy profiles and Cisco ADU configurations.