BEYOND THE VLOGWhy VIDEO Matters
with Joey Fortman@JoeyFortman
Why Video Matters?• SEO• Puts ‘face’ behind the brand.
• More engaging• People do business with people they ‘like’ or
feel they can ‘relate’ to. • Reach Prospects
• Video into e-mail marketing increases clickthru by over 96% (Implix)
• People do business with people they ‘like’ or feel they can ‘relate’ to.
Video SEO• Video boosts conversion rates by an average
of 9%.(Internet Retailer, October 2010)
• Products that have videos are 95% more likely to be bought.(Internet Retailer, April 2010)
• Video adds two minutes to visitors' stays on retail sites.(Comscore, August 2010)
• Video increases the likelihood of a front-page Google search result by 96% with proper page optimization.(Forrester, January 2010)
Do you have CONTENT?• How-To’s / Tips & Tricks• Brand Awareness • Video
• Creates credibility. • Contests• About the Team• Events
How-To’s / Tips & Tricks• DIY, fashion haul, etc
Brand Awareness • Video intro about yourself (homepage)
Video Testimonials Reviews & Interviews• Interviews / personal reviews - authors,
inventors, celebrities: book reviews, product review
• Video Testimonial from someone other than yourself about you/your product
Contests• Great for SEO with time on site• Site Scavenger Hunts• Twitter/Facebook/Pinterest/YouTube Giveaways • Do a video to explain a contest
• Employee/writer/contributer/reader/etc of the month
• Could make it a feature or one time. Make it long with a collage or each separately
About The Team
Events• Did you do a press event & want to
impress the agency who invited you?• Did your blog/biz do a charity event &
you want to highlight it• Did you cover something in the area that
you specialize in (hyperlocal)• These are AWESOME if you’re dying
to break into travel experiences!
Things to Think About• Equipment
• Video Cam, Cell Phone, Webcam• Sound
• Music Beds, sound effects• Subjects
• Spokesperson, Kids, You,• Production
• Who will produce your videos?
WHO will produce it?• In-House
• iMovie, Final Cut, Windows Movie Maker, YouTube
• Professional/Production Company• Bloggers, Fans, Friends
YOUTUBE EDITOR• Go to the website www.YouTube.com/Editor
Video Terms• Tilt (up/down)• Pan (side/side)• Backlight• Over The Shoulder Shot• Wide Shot• Two Shot• Medium Shot• Close Up• Reversal• Lower Third• Cutaway• B Roll• Pre-Post Roll• Jump Cuts• Interview
• Raw: Amateur/Candid• Un-edited footage
• Produced: Professional/Investment• Edited video• Cutaways, closeups, branding
• Live: Experienced• Sites like Ustream or Stickam
Types of Video
RULES for Video•Introduction•Sound•Lighting •Dress•Shot•Subjects
INTRODUCTION• Who are you? Why are you
there?• ‘I’m ____ and welcome to my website!
Today we’re going to talk about ____.’’
• BE CATCHY! Grab their attention.• Start with a shot then fade to you
Sound• MINIMIZE background noise: kids, music,
conversation, tv• Sometimes you just can’t control it. That’s when you find a
way to have fun with it.
• USE a MICROPHONE when possible• It can make or break your video. If you’re covering an event
with your iphone and no mic? Might as well not even do it... sound is so bad!
• GREAT Mic for iPhone: Audio Technica ATR 3350 approx $35
Lighting• More is BETTER• Outside (when possible)
• INDOORS USE TRIANGLE LIGHTING
• Key Light• Fill Light• Back Light
Dress• Solid BRIGHT Colors• Black is ok if you have
accents in jewelry or your hair contrast (Joey wears a lot of black!)
• If doing a lot of shots, just change shirts or accessories!
• Avoid reflective clothes and jewelry
Shot• Clean it UP! Avoid
Clutter!!• Product Placement• Frame the shot
Subjects• Be prepared! Cue Cards. • When filming children: COACH them!• Be energetic & passionate about what you’re talking about.
Unedited-Raw Video• Keep it short! :30 seconds - 1:00 max• Shoot, Review, Shoot x 2 = pick best
• Use cue cards if needed!
Edited Video• Keep it short! 2:00 or less
• Only have :10 to make that first impression & keep your audience.
• 1st frame: LOGO & website• Pacing: Don’t drag!!!• Use transitions
• Avoid jumpcuts
Editing Software• Mac: I Movie, App for iPad/iPhone• Final Cut x ($300.00)• PC Adobe Premiere (elements -
$100)• Desktop/web camera: Camtasia $99
Where to Put Your Video• Posting: YouTube, Vimeo
• PRO: Free, Views count for YouTube SEO
• CON: YouTube gets SEO credit-not your site.
• Hosting: BrightCove, Wistia, Kaltura
• PRO: Better quality & analytics: Video sitemapping
• CON: Cost for hosting ($100 month)
• Fees involved
• Things to Think About:
• Pinterest! Pinning Videos on site HELPS!
Social Media & Video Tips• YouTube: Engage the community
• Facebook: Use video on pages & walls• VIDEO ranks #1 in FB algorithms
• Twitter: Share to your followers
• LinkedIn: Put YouTube in UPDATES!• Pinterest: Pinning Videos is SEO Heaven.
Video & Securing Press• DON’T pitch your business
• They’re media companies-they’ll pitch you back!
• If you have the budget-Pay for Play!
• 10! Show, Better Philly, Talk Philly
• Pitch BENEFITS of your service.
• Look for an EMOTIONAL hook.
• Be a ‘LOCAL EXPERT’
• WHY VIDEO?
• When you pitch-the producer has something to ‘see’. Personality, Appearance, Relevancy
Monetizing Your Video• Product Placement• Video Reviews • Producing ‘welcome videos’
for small businesses• Event Coverage• Social Media Consulting
• Teach clients how to use it
• Creative Branding
• $25/mo. $37.50 w/exercises*• $250 year $375 premium*
• iTunes• iPad/iPhone: iMovie app $5
• Film Director, Vibop• Classes
• Apple stores
Great Tech GoodiesGoPro HD Motorsports Hero (Action Camera)
Audio Technica ATR-3350(Lavalier Microphone)
iRig iMic(Mic for iPhone)
XShot 2.0(iPhone Camera Extender)