1. Started training as a Software Engineer with British Aerospace in 1997 Diverse experience over 12+ years: Defence Education Banking (Boo! Hiss!) Retail Public Transport
2. Established 2008 Started as an iPhone App software house Now a specialist in Enterprise Mobile applications Flagship product used in Publishing, eLearning, Market Research, Advertising, Marketing and Public Relations
3. Apple App Store launched start July 2008 1st iPhone App released end July 2008 Free App Peak of 70,000 downloads in 1 week Paid App Peak of 7,000 downloads in 1 week 3 paid Apps released throughout August
4. All 4 Apps reached #1 in worldwide charts Over 500,000 downloads, 85 countries Sep-08 Oct-08 Nov-08 Dec-08 Jan-09 Feb-09 Earnings
5. Then Now Between 10 and 30 Apps 100s of Apps being released being released every day every day Between 1,000 and 2,000 Over 400,000 Apps in Store Apps in Store Bad Apps earned more than Bad Apps earn what they they deserved deserve Good Apps achieved potential Good Apps drown in a sea of noise
6. Its probably been done already Competing with 400,000+ other great ideas Achieving ROI is extremely risky App development still a specialist skill Users grudgingly pay more than 59p Apple take 30% royalty
7. 60s 70s 80s 90s 00s 10sEarly Dumb Personal Internet Smart- MobileComputers Terminals Computers Phones Internet Time Storage/CPU etc. Screen/Keyboard etc.
8. How do customers & staff use your website(s)? How many are viewing with a Mobile device? What kind of things are they doing? Buying things Making bookings Getting information Whats the User Experience for your Mobile website users?
9. 1. Gather data from your website (% Mobile)2. Build a Mobile-optimised website3. Gather feedback from Mobile website users4. Build a Mobile App if following criteria are met: Users demand offline/App-like experience Large enough numbers to justify investment!
10. Consider all the Mobile platforms: iPhone: possibly most well known Android: fastest growing, backed by Google Nokia: biggest market share, partner with Microsoft BlackBerry: biggest corporate market share Approval of your App hinges on utility Consider buying an off the shelf template instead of building bespoke